Saturday, May 31, 2008

Danville: Stripped Down

It's 5:30 in the freaking morning, and I have this blog rushing around in my head. I know I won't be able to get back to sleep until I let it all out.

Many of you know that I grew up in Danville, California. Many people called it a bubble, and it was. Much different from the "bubble" that is Provo, UT; Danville was a bubble that seemed to let in all things beautiful. My childhood was idyllic in nearly every sense of the word. I spent most of my life in one ward that was split, so I was surrounded by many of the same people. There were about 13 girls that were my age, and we became incredibly close friends. Elementary school was "perfect". I attended a brand new school, I rode my bike there with a close friend who lived down the street, and I had one of the most influential and loving teachers I've ever known there. In fact, any penchant that I may or may not have for writing, I attribute to Mrs. Ware.

In Danville, I spent many hours of my adolescence at the Village Theatre, doing over a dozen plays with Terry Rucker, and a few with Pam Greenan. It was there that I learned the freedom of expression. It was there that I basked in the glow of post-show admiration, as my friends and always my family showered me with flowers. I don't think my parents ever missed one show I was in.

In Danville, I attended High School. So many of my fondest memories were centered there. After "begging" my 8th grade choir teacher, the infamous Mr. K, to let me be a soprano, I learned so much, and developed probably one of the greatest talents I've ever been blessed with- my ability to sing. I was dealt one of my harshest blows at San Ramon: not being put into Advanced Drama- because the new jerk teacher even admitted that he knew I would stay around for another year, so he needed to dole out the slot to some people who wouldn't be so patient. Joke's on him. If I had been in Advanced Drama, then I wouldn't have been able to be in both Treble Clef and Concert Choir. Looking back, Mr. Perryman's greediness is one of my greatest blessings, because as a Jr, it was required to be in both of those choir classes to even be considered for Chamber Singers. My time in Chamber Singers and as a part of the choir Presidency are some of my most treasured moments. Letting my singing ability lapse is without doubt, my GREATEST regret. I can only pray that one day, after hiding it under the proverbial "bushel" for so long, I might be allowed to restore it.

I lived at 170 Westwich St for nearly 16 years. It was at that house I watched my older brother and sisters come and go from college, and then go permanently to be with their spouses. It was at that house I watched my parents become grandparents, and I fell into a roll I adored: aunt. I remember checking and rechecking the windows on Sunday afternoons- waiting for my siblings to drive up and spend the day with us. 170 Westwich was the center of many firsts. I fell in love at that house for the first time. I had my heart absolutely thrashed for the REAL first time on the phone in my bedroom. I had many lemonade stands at that house. Many sleepovers, and late-night conversations solidified my deep bond with my best friend at that house. So many friends gathered in safety at that house. I returned there eagerly from college- I spent the last night before my wedding at that house. So many home-cooked meals were made at that house, and a family REALLY loved each other at that house.

Almost 2 years ago, that house and that town betrayed me. I don't know exactly why I'm writing this post. Maybe for closure? Maybe to get out into words why a little bit of my heart hurts every time I hear Danville mentioned? For various reasons- it seemed that so many of the people that I had grown up relying upon turned on my family. All it took were a few paragraphs in a newspaper. Could that really be what destroys almost 17 years of friendship? The figurative "scissors" that clip the ties that bind truly were hard at work over a 6 month period, and in that time, I was hurt more than I ever thought possible. In some ways, one of Jason and I's biggest mistake was deciding to live in San Ramon; where I had front-row tickets to an awful downward spiral- one that my siblings were lucky enough to miss.

That house fell apart. Literally and figuratively. I didn't get the last "fairy-tale" walk through. As I sat with my dad alone, shoving the last remainders of so many years of memories into the back of my Explorer, I couldn't do the final walk. I couldn't risk going through a house that had done so much good, but in the end, torn so much apart. I fear I might harbor feelings of resentment towards that house for the rest of my life. I fear, that when it becomes time for me to take Hazen and my other children to the place that formed their mother, much of the magic will be gone.

The good thing? That house, try as it might, and that town- as apathetic as they were- didn't tear apart the family that learned to love each other. It might have given us no choice but to leave, but the bonds that were formed there still stand strong and true, 800 miles away.

23 comments:

Jessica said...

Anne, if your blog was any more real and in your face, you'd be sitting in bed next to me saying this in real life!

So interesting to hear the good and the bad!

Linsey said...

Wow. Sometimes your posts are so naked and brutal. The honesty is refreshing. I love that you use your blog as a real journal and not just a travel log (um, like mine).

the wrath of khandrea said...

very well written. i understand the feelings of betrayal, especially when it extends beyond those immediately involved. people can be markedly insensitive and self-serving. it is good that you have happiness in your life. if you walk away with that, then you come out on top.

Kirsten Krason said...

I am glad you wrote that. It was beautifully written and very honest. I can't imagine how I would have handled the betrayal. It would be so hard. Way to grow and learn and blog!

Ashley Clark said...

Although we were friends through this whole ordeal, I don't think I ever heard you voice these thoughts. So, I'm so glad you did. Other than how expensive it is to live in CA, I now understand why you wanted to move and further more, why you love Utah so much. Remember that the Halls and the Clarks love your family! Can't wait to see you in June, so we can talk about these things in person. :-)

Anonymous said...

Amen to what Ashley said, and I just want to add that the Ericksons and Montierths also love your family!!

Heather said...

Suck it Westwich.

Heather said...

Seriously though you had and have an amazing group of girls that supported you and continue to love you.

That's the one bad thing about going back to visit for me is that the people that I might have grown up with have been gone for so long they don't know what really happened, ya know? making it awkward for me.

Almost makes me not want to go back.

Yay for Bradfo's ties that force me to go back.

Dad rules.

Annemarie said...

I feel like I am reading a beautifully written book & I was bummed when the post was over...I want the next chapter!

You are awesome,

Dave said...

Oh Anne. I'm sorry for that place. That town. Those people. I sat down this morning to write a poem about how I miss Danville and then I see you've written the opposite. I wish you were on my side of the fence. I wish you could visit with fondness. It's a disservice to you that any reason should exist which pushes you away from that place. I hope at some point it makes peace with you.

Alli said...

aren't you so glad you have family... because wherever they are is where home is, even if it isn't in the place you grew up in! love ya girl! the rebers and the judds love you too!

Maddy Pie said...

This is Wendy, not Maddy. My account is screwed up so I'm using Maddy's.
We moved away before all that took place so I really don't know what happened. I hope you can let go of that sour feeling about Danville in time and be able to remember all those great things that you loved about it. There are lots of great places to live. As long as you have your family, you will be happy. No matter what happens with your friends, you can always count on your family. No one knows you quite as well as they do.

Grandma Turtle said...

Reading your experiences in Danville reminds me of a hard time our little family had a few years back. We, too, took our broken hearts and went to live somewhere else. What I've learned so far from it all is that people who can't control their own tongues don't get to have me for their friend. I collect wonderful people for my friends, and they are scattered all around the states. But the people who don't know how to be nice, I walk away from them after giving them 2 or 3 chances. There have been jerks on this earth ever since Adam and Eve had kids, but there's also a nice selection of Greats. Hang onto the Great people in life and don't spend your time worrying about the others. I bet Hazen will grow up and tell of his Home growing up and how wonderful it was to have you and Jason as parents. Wherever your adventures in life take you, he will always treasure the feelings of love and security he feels with you. Thanks for letting me go back in my mind to my past hurts. It helped me realize that it came and it went, but it didn't ruin me. Happy Day! And yours didn't ruin you either. It made you strong......so strong that you'll probably get to help someone else get through their rough spot someday.

Sarah said...

This post totally brought me back to the "bubble." I am SO glad I am not the only one who knew Perryman was a total jerkface- I tried soooo hard to impress him because I always wanted to try out drama, and I never seemed to be good enough no matter how backward I bent. But like you, if I hadn't been rejected from him, I couldn't have had such a fun senior year in Treble Clef and Concert Choir...

I sometimes drive by the house I half grew up in off Greenbrook and see so many things, and also wonder where the magic has gone. But then I realize that I took it with me, and left the bad there to disappear on its own time. I have all the good memories, even the over-the-phone heart-breaker nights and pre-winter ball pictures, and I keep them with me. But I left all the family fights and big time drama and sadness in the past where I don't need it anymore.

Anyways... your blog just made me feel really reflective... thanks for that.

weeze or Alissa said...

I know this is wierd, but I don't really know what went down in Danville...and maybe it's not a shary family thing, but if you ever think I should know, just share. I don't want to be all in your family's business, but, ya know, we are all family...so maybe this is to wierd...I'll stop now.

Nortorious said...

There are many good things about D-ville, but living in a bubble has it's drawbacks. Like everybody knows who you are, remembers what a twit you were in high school, and constantly regales you with stories about your siblings and parents. I'm pretty sure I made at least half the people in our stake cry at one time or another. Fun times.

heidiram said...

Wow. Well said. It all happened so fast . . . it seems like a big giant blur. And I still have dreams of the house . . . and of dad . . . I wish I would have been able to walk through the house one last time. As for people, we have been away for so many years that I don't really have any connections. My new Danville friends are the ones I have met in Blogland and never knew while living there anyway (Celia, Paige, Nor, etc.)

Two things I really really miss about D-Ville is Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings and Trader Joes.

Terry said...

Hey Annee; I just came across your blog and I had to respond. It's great to hear how wonderful you life has turned out, and to hear that you remember our time together as being so positive. Some of my fondest memories come from that time. I remember you as being one of the true stars of the group. And I'm not speaking strickly of you talent, but your influence on everyone. You made everyone a little better, and a little happier just by being yourself. That is a wonderful gift. Congratulations on your wonderful family and the best to all of you. Please say hello to your parents for me, and please say "Hey" to any of the old gang you might run into and feel free to pass along my e-mail address.
Take care Annee.
Your friend; Terry Rucker

Meriel Frandsen said...

Did I miss something? What happened? I say amen to the first half, but I know nothing of the betrayal. Whatever it was, I'm so sorry! Though I am partial to Alamo ;) , Danville will always have a claim to my heart and my memories.

Beckers said...

Oh "The Bubble, The Ville". You can't go home again is such a confusing message especially growing up in our little paradise. I struggle with going home, so much has changed from the people to the way I look at the dying oak tree and the new replacement growing in its shadow. I heart you Anne, and I love learning more about you ironically so many years after growing up next to you!

momala@grammy.com said...

Just a thought in passing...
AS a Mother if our strongest memoris of childbith/labor lasted forever there would probably be many many one child families. However when we mix all the wonderful memories, traditions and good times it soon out weighs the bad. Nobody and nothing can take those lovely things away. Anything left behind in Danville stays but you choose to bring foreward the good. Those are the things that will be deep in your soul. That is what you hopefully will share with Hazen. If we were never tested we would not appreciate all the blessings that we're given. I am not discounting your feelings...That is my prospective on Danville I Love You

Jenibelle said...

"Home" is where your memories (for good or bad) are, but more than that, "home" is really where your family is. Danville wasn't the problem, gossip and judgement probably was.

Last summer my sisters and I went to our parents house, they are both gone now. And it was just that, a house. But the memories of all the laughter and tears made us remember what a wonderful "home" our parents had made for us. Dwell on that, not the town, not the house, but the wonderful, wonderful life your parents made for you. You were so lucky to be able to have had such a "home".

Paige said...

Sorry you feel like that about the entire town! It's working for me even though I do have to wear my lipstick to safeway in case I run in to high school people. I like my kids in the bubble.