Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hazen's First Surgery!



Finally, after waiting for 3 months to get into him, Hazen had his appointment with the ENT yesterday. Dr. Robbins was fabulous, taking one look at Hazen's medical history, and then taking a brief look at his CURRENT ear infection, and scheduled him for surgery the following day!

We were scheduled to get to the hospital at 6:45 am. As someone who normally doesn't get up until 8-(Hazen knows that he will be perfectly fine if I ignore him and allow him to play in bed until then), I was afraid that I would be totally tired in the morning. Well, when it was 5:40, and I was wide awake, I knew that my slight anxiety to the upcoming event would keep me from being tired at all.

We got to the hospital, and Hazen was up and ready to play! There were other babies there, being pansy's in their carriers- but not Hazen! He was squirrely as ever, and enjoying playing pick-a-boo with us, and generally being cute.


The took us back to the room, and gave Daddy a mask so he wouldn't freak out by that. It was kind of unnecessary, but fun to take pictures of, nonetheless.

They gave Hazen a hospital gown, which was so cute. I love partially naked babies. In fact, the more nakey, the better. Maybe I should cut the backs off of all of his clothes, so I can see his cute little back!

A Dr came in, and checked out Hazen. He finished checking out Hazen, and I told him to check him out again so I could take a picture. He looked at me, smiled, and said, "Oh, you're one of those moms." So funny!
They gave Hazen one of those face mask things that they were going to put on his face while they put him out. It tasted like cherry, and he punctured the little plastic bag part before dropping it on the floor. They offered to EVEN let us take it home. Um, no thanks!

They took the boy away, and less than 1/2 hour later, brought him back to us. Really pissed.
He pretty much screamed for 45 minutes. He never does that. In fact, in the car ride home, all he could do was whimper, and look really wasted. Poor baby. He's attempting to take a nap right now. He hasn't quite fallen asleep yet, but I know when he does he'll feel much better!!

22 comments:

Heather said...

Told you they get really pissed when they come out of surgery. I'm trying to decide what to bring him.

I'm thinking pureed cauliflower shaped like an ear with sweet potato shading and making a teeny tiny tube out of something.

Or maybe I'll just make you a cake.

Kimberly said...

Even though that surgery is so routine, I still found it nerve wracking (Sam has gotten tubes twice now!). You both will be so much happier though. I hope he is back to normal today!
And Heather, it sounds like your baby food making is getting a little out of control!

Hannah said...

Poor guy! I always feel sad for babies who have surgury. You just can't explain to them what is going to happen.

He is so cute!

Annemarie said...

Awwww...little Hal! I love the trying to sleep pic. I hope he takes a couple of good naps for you today!

Shay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shayla said...

Hey Anne...Thanks for the comment on my blog a few weeks ago. What a cutie Hazen is! It's so amazing to look at these little ex-micro-preemies and all the miracles they've experienced!

Way to go on the surgery! My 4th child had that surgery---you will love it! No more infections and wailing in the middle of the night...at least due to his ears. They are so resilient and us big baby adults could never go through a surgery like that and smile 5 minutes later like they do. Gotta love 'em! Keep on trucking along, Hazen!

Anonymous said...

Awwww... so sad! But great documentation. You are totally one of "those" moms, but I LOFF EET.

Maddy Pie said...

ahhhhh poor little guy!

he is soooo cute!

Michele said...

Way to go Hazen. He is too cute! The photos tell the story of the surgery so well. Hope it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Linsey said...

I love that you are one of THOSE moms. Glad things went well.

Sarah said...

What a day for such a small dude!!! I'm so glad your baby isn't a pansy baby... I mean those pansy babies are just... something else.

;-)


I need help... How do you make your blog look so pretty? My pictures are always cut off because I can't find a layout that doesn't dedicate half the screen to my links' list. I put up photos, but they are only like... 3/4 of the original photos, the whole side is chopped off.

the wrath of khandrea said...

did you mention what the surgery was and i missed it? maybe tubes? glad it went well. 2 of my 3 had tubes. you should never decline free meds, especially ones with a slight narcotic in them. don't you know how much they go for on the street? or better yet, how good they make you feel when your kids are driving you CRAZY?

i'm just sayn...

heidiram said...

This will change your life FOREVA! I'm so glad they were able to take care of him in such a timely manner.

Emily said...

What a sad face is that second to last picture! I'm sure one day he'll love the documentation. I'm a ear-tube baby myself, and I turned out practically perfect in every way.

Ashley Clark said...

Please tell me they let you take the mini patient gown home! So cute!

Janet Lee said...

Poor little guy! He was having so much fun playing with the mask thingy and then... WHAM!!! Surgery. I hope he's feeling better. Love ya.

Jenibelle said...

That last picture is the saddest little boo face I have ever seen! Sweet Hazen, you are going to feel so much better, then we better see the happy face!!!

Nortorious said...

You're brave. Baby surgery is scary, no matter what it's for. But I hope you snaked one of those little hospital gowns!

weeze or Alissa said...

I never had to do the ear thing. Hyrum was my most esr yucky baby. Whenever he'd get an infection, the drum would rupture then we were sailing after that!
And the post surgery wakeup is ROUGH!!!

Anna said...

Poor boy, he really does look so sad. Hope we gets to feeling better really soon. Surgery is never fun, even when they are so needed. :(

diane said...

When Jordan was a baby he got tubes twice with adnoids removed the second time for good measure. I went in the first time while they put him under but made my husband go the next time. I kinda just relived it with wisdom teeth.

diane said...

I forgot to mention your cute Lancome bag. I got one too.