Thursday, May 22, 2008

NICU Reunion 2008

On Saturday, we had the opportunity to attend the Utah Valley NICU Reunion. It was something that I had been looking forward to for weeks. We went, and they had quite the set-up. They pretty much had all the Cotton Candy you could eat, which is good enough for me. I will tell you that the single sloppy joe, served with a whole lotta nothing could have been improved upon. I'm not writing to tell you about the food though....

This reunion was something I can't quite explain. It seems like it's been a lifetime since Hazen was there. In the walls of that Hospital, I went through my own personal hell, but also realized how much Heavenly Father hears our prayers.

This is Lindsey and her little boy, Jacob. Lindsey and Jason actually grew up together in Livermore. We didn't actually see her in the NICU until a few days before she was going home, but Jacob is adorable!!! I guess he's rolling like crazy. I am a firm believer that those with older siblings are much more inclined to roll like maniacs. Seeing that I traditionally don't attack Hazen on the ground, he's a little lazy. I'm sad that I didn't get a good up-close picture of Jacob, because he's to die for!!
This is Annie. She is the Occupational Therapist, and really adored Hazen. She didn't have too much interaction with him when he was actually in the hospital, because for the most part, he was too sick, but since coming home, she has been such a great advocate for him getting the follow-up care that he needs.

This is Dr. Gerday. Seeing him really was the most bittersweet. He was the Dr that sat me down and told me that I had a horribly sick baby that most likely was going to have long-term brain damage. Although Hazen wasn't really "performing" like I would have liked him to (It was hotter than Hades in there), I was so grateful to be able to present a healthy, beautiful, happy boy to him. I told him, "See, there ARE other sides to the horror stories. Isn't it a beautiful thing?"

This is Charlene. Uhh...I actually don't know her last name. She was a heaven-send. I don't know if she's like this for all of her patients, but she took such incredible care of Hazen AND me. She was his Nurse Practitioner, and seemed to take a special liking to my sweet HAL. Charlene would make sure to call me at least once every day. She would take special time out to sit with me at his bedside, and never seemed too busy for my questions. I'll never forget one Sunday afternoon while I sat at his bedside, she sat with me for over an hour discussion the situation. She calmly and honestly told me what things I didn't need to worry about....and what things I DID need to worry about. When Hazen got transferred to Primary's, I called her one day in tears, and she gave me some words of wisdom. When she found out who we were planning on having as a pediatrician, she pulled me aside (totally against the rules!!), and told me that since she cared so much about Hazen, I needed to have him see a different Dr. This has turned out to be such a blessing. Charlene is the one who discharged Hazen- I'm so sad I didn't get a picture of them that day. She was so shocked at how much he's grown. I love and respect Charlene more than I'll ever really be able to express.

I don't know if we'll have to re-live the experience of having a sick baby. I hope not- but you never know. I do know, that we were so blessed to have such capable, caring, and wonderful staff see our little angel through the first rough days of his life. There was nothing that would make me happier than walking into the unit, and seeing a nurse lovingly nuzzle and hold my baby. It made me feel so much better knowing that while I COULDN'T be there 24/7, I didn't NEED to be. Thank you Utah Valley.

20 comments:

Linsey said...

Living proof that miracles do happen.

Annemarie said...

That is so cool that they have a reunion for you guys. I have no doubt that Hazen was the CUTEST baby there, especially in that hat!!!

Kimberly said...

This made me a little teary. Such a great story, and I love that you continue to experience miracles with HAL. I have to say though, that my favorite thing in the post is the picture of the boob grab.

Kelli Nicole said...

That's so cool! Did you see anyone I photographed? I'm glad you got to spend most of the time there and not up in Salt Lake.

Unknown said...

How cool that they do this. I think that's fantastic!

heidiram said...

I loved going to the NICU Reunions at Oakland Children's Hospital. I thought it would be fun to go back for Tino's 10th anniversary.

diane said...

He is a doll and how cute is his mom...loving the top! Glad you got to show them and thank them.

Jessica said...

Don't you just have this HUGE love for people who take care of your kids well in the hospital. I could cry just thinking about some of my kids awesome caretakers.

Tristan said...

That is so touching! I can't imagine having a sick baby like that! I don't know that I could handle it! How fun to reuinte with the people who helped you through it all.

Jenn said...

My son was in the U of U NICU for a few weeks after birth and they were just amazing. I could not get there for 5 days due to a c section in Orem and they made sure to call me all the time and tell me what was going on. We missed our reunion I so wish I would have gone. The Lord does send us Miracles doesn't he?

Kirsten Krason said...

3 thoughts:

1. You look so cute in those pictures. I love your shirt.
2. I love your kid ecspecially in that killer hat.
3. I liked hanging out with you. We must do it again.
4. Although your husband may be slightly scary he seems pretty awesome.
...that is all.

Kirsten Krason said...

I realize that was 4 thoughts. I can not count.

Aubrey said...

Anne -
I may or may not think you are creepy. (I don't, hehe)

Thanks for the compliments! I really am going to try updating my blog more often, i just feel like most things i think of writing are totally craptastic. it is my goal though.

the wrath of khandrea said...

wow. i can't believe they do that! i wonder if that's common around the country, or just in utah.

pretty cool.

The Five that Jive said...

It was great seeing you there...looking beautiful!! Hazen is adorable and I'm so glad to see him big and healthy:) It's amazing to look back at the pictures of my tiny little guy...it seems like forever ago...I'm glad that things are going so much better now!! Oh and I'm going to steal that cute pic of us:)
Lindsey J

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

What an amazing journey you've been on. It's so nice they have a reunion so you can see everyone again and they can see Hazen.

paige said...

Not that anyone wants a reason to go to the NICU, but it's nice to know that there are such awesome people there, people that will take care of your child like they are your own! I am glad you had fun & a good experience. I love happy blogs with your sweet baby - I know that has been said before, but that's one killer hat!

Brandi Lyn said...

Ok- i'm bawling. I can so relate a little to your emotions. You guys are such a special family, and you are such an inspired special mother. Hal is so blessed. :)

Ashley Clark said...

I LOVE nurse practitioners. My OB is a nurse practitioner. For the most part, they have better bedside manner because they are used to being at the bedside more than doctors.

Audra said...

I'm so glad you got to go to this!!! I can't wait until Tucker is out and we can take him back and show them just what you said...there are other sides to the horror stories!!