Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Best Moms in Town

For Mother's Day, I got an amazing Baby Food Cookbook! I saw it in Williams-Sonoma, and I fell in love. Three weeks later, it was mine!

Heather and I spent most of yesterday, and some of this morning making homemade baby food for our boys! Not only is it so much more healthy, but the boys are already starting to eat us out of house and home- and they're not even a year old! We tested the foods out on the boys, and they seemed to be pretty happy about it!


It was hilarious- Heather would plop huge spoonfuls of food, and Max would go at it. Later, Hazen had little bits of every food all over his mouth. They are so cute! Just to make sure that the food was acceptable, we had to test it out on each other!




When all was said and done, we made Peas with Parsley, Asparagus, Turkey, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Carrots with Parsley, Cherries with Banana, Blueberries, Applesauce, and Whipped Cauliflower.


All in all, I think it was a huge success. I paid $26 for all of my ingredients, and that I still have to make the Lamb that I bought. Seeing as we were paying about $15/week for baby food, I think not only is this a really economical choice, but it feels good to be feeding the boys pure, healthy food that we made ourselves.

23 comments:

Celia Fae said...

So what do you do? Freeze it and then nuke it later?

I'm glad you enjoyed your first mother's day. It is a special treat, huh? I'm not sure you can ever top the one you just had, though. Special occasion and all.

Brandi Lyn said...

Wow you're SO DOMESTIC!! I'm so glad you had a wonderul mother's day, you totally deserve it!!

Ashley Clark said...

I love that you wore a bib when tasting the baby food--just to get the real experience. :-)

Amanda Fetters said...

Rock ON!!!!! I *so* need your fave recipes from that book, if not the book itself.

Unknown said...

You are amazing. This is very impressive!

Nancy said...

My mom always made all our baby food, and I love to see other moms doing the same. Glad you enjoyed your first mother's day!

Meriel Frandsen said...

That is really neat. I think when I have kids, I will do the same. Mostly 'cause I'm a cheapskate, and secondly because it's probably healthier.

the wrath of khandrea said...

back when i lived in UTAH and i was a REAL mormon, i had a garden. then i had a baby. i combined the two, for the ultimate mormon experience:
homegrown, homemade baby food.
that was my ticket into the celestial kingdom. it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Annemarie said...

You two ARE the best moms in town...and little Jr Marthas. Way to go, I'm impressed.

paige said...

I love it! I am definitely going to try it - my sister in law did it with a few things & said it made a huge financial difference not to mention nutritious. Hopefully I will have a fun friend to try it out with! Looks like a party!

Brandi Lyn said...

So i was looking at your blog again and realized that you are the ONLY person i know that can make baby food look appetizing to adults! Pure Talent.

diane said...

The colors are so vibrant! I love the picture of the boys all covered in it!

ashli said...

for sure you two are thee MoM's of the year! that looks like it's healthy....did it taste good?

Anna said...

Way to go that is awesome. I was always too lazy to do that, but I think it's a fantastic idea. Maybe next time.

Kirsten Krason said...

That looks so good. Make me some when we come visit. BTW we can totally hang out now!!!

Hazen5 said...

Been there done that! Payton lived on homemade organic vegs & fruit! You are a great Mommy!

D and J Larson said...

you should get those mini silicone muffin pans that works really well for freezing.

Ashley Clark said...

How many times have I checked your blog today? Too many to count. I guess I'm obsessed with you.

queenieweenie said...

Is that a bib I spy on you Anne? What a cool way to celebrate Mother's Day. I'm very, very, impressed that you made your own baby food. The closest I got was making/freezing little tiny turkey burgers for my kiddos when they were able to eat meat. None of that "creamed beef" for me...gag!

Unknown said...

Very impressive. Mostly because you guys tasted them first. I can only eat the Gerber bananas. The rest makes me gag. But glad my babies liked them.

Gabriella said...

I also make my own baby food, but why didn't I think of freezing them in little globs like that? That's so smart! I put them in freezer bags and then have to try to squeeze the food out once it's defrosted. Your a great mom.

Nortorious said...

Can you ship some to me? I'll buy a bag.
I run out of ideas of what to feed Mimi.

Unknown said...

You may already know this but a great way to store them is to freeze them in ice cube trays and then you can just pop them out when you need them.