Monday, May 5, 2008

A New Experience





Being a first-time mom, I have this FEAR that Hazen will choke to death. This, perhaps, is compounded by the fact that instead of listening intently at the required CPR class we had to take before they would let Hazen home from the NICU, I was so excited about the fact that I wouldn't have to live at Utah Valley anymore, I didn't really pay attention.

So, when Hazen is wanting a snack, I won't oblige unless I'm inches away from him. I won't give him snacks in the car, because I'm too far away, and until recently, I wouldn't give him crackers.

Jason and I LOVE Ritz crackers. We go through them pretty quickly, and they are hands-down one of our favorite snacks. Last week, I was eating lunch (Cottage Cheese, Peaches, and some Crackers), and Hazen was sitting on my lap. He would watch me take the cracker out of the package, hold it, open his mouth, and then watch sadly as I popped it into my mouth. Once I finally caught on, I would take a bite, then he would open his mouth, and he would take a bite. It's really too cute. I think he really likes the way the cracker feels as his two little teeth bite into it. So, now, when I have some chores to do, I just pop him in his high chair, and let him enjoy a snack of crackers with me!

13 comments:

Linsey said...

You posted while I was commenting - so I'm already behind on your blog. The eating the cracker pic is divine. Don't think I didn't notice the giraffes on the high chair as well - looks we'll be right at home for our play date this summer.

Annemarie said...

Yea for crackers & snacks in the high chair so mom can get something done!!! Were you eating the 10 for $10 cottage cheese by any chance?

Amanda Fetters said...

I KNOW IT!!! I too am terrified that a chunk of something or other is going to lodge itself in Lizzy's esophagus and she will choke to death. I'm sure I'll grow out of it someday...

Ashley Clark said...

Once I was babysitting (I think I was 14 or so) when the toddler started choking on a fishey cracker. It was sort of like my "stop, drop, and roll" experience at Girl's Camp. I picked him up and started the heel thrust (with the palm of your hand on his back). Within no time, the cracker was flying out of his mouth and across the room.

I guess you could say I saved his life. Hmm.

Hazen5 said...

Now that's my boy, he loves them crackers like his auntie!

Nortorious said...

I love the closed eye communion shot. Hilarious.

Amanda Fetters said...

You're killin' me, smalls! They get home tomorrow at 2 or 3 (yay!!!). In the mean time, I'm sure I could come up with a nice juicy post about unpacking boxes and taking massive grocery shopping trips...

the wrath of khandrea said...

wait until he discovers ritz crackers crushed up in melted butter. it's supposed to be a casserole topping, but i view it as more of a meal in and of itself.

Er Bear said...

oh my! what a big boy! i wish we still lived there so that our kiddos could play.... looks like our play date idea kind of diminished! ha!

Kirsten Krason said...

That's the same face I make when I eat ritz crackers!! Crazy. I love those things too.

Grandma Turtle said...

Hazen looks so grown up, all of a sudden! He's so cute! The three of you take such good care of each other. What a strong Team you are.

weeze or Alissa said...

I remember Hyrum's first real food snack...puffy cheetos and an otterpop. Oh, I do win the best junk food mom award with my 3rd.

weeze

mamasuisse said...

I hear you on the choking fear. It doesn't get any better as they get older because then they start talking and laughing and running while they eat . . . it's scarey.