Saturday, June 21, 2008

Strawberry Days, Pt. 3

7:30 am- The 5k; We got up at 7, picked up Heather, and headed over to the starting line for the 5k. This was the first race I've EVER done in my entire life, and I didn't know whether to be excited for it, dread it, be nervous for it, or be so glad I was there. Ask me at which part of the run, and I'll let you know! Jason was so funny when he heard that I was doing the run, too. He was all, "Uh, AWESOME.....so, do you want me to run it WITH you??" Jason runs many miles a day. I assured him he didn't need to wait for his darling, yet slow wife. The first mile was cake. It was also almost all down hill. I didn't RUN the whole thing, but I finished, even though I'm dealing with a little injury type thing right now. I even finished within 47 seconds of my "goal" time. I was really happy about that! (45 minutes and 47 seconds, I know, it's not fast, but it was my first! This way I have somewhere start, and I can always get better!) I've never been a runner, so it was exciting.

9:00 am- Get ready; I had a little less than an hour to get myself ready. Luckily, my mom helped big time so that I could do so. We rushed out the house to....







10:00 am- The Parade; This was Jason's first parade ever! He was so excited, and I was so proud of him! It's so wonderful for me to watch Jason living his dream before my eyes. I love that man, and I'm so happy that he chose such a wonderful profession. If you're not jealous already, you should be sad that your husband isn't a firefighter! He rode on the Fire Truck in the Parade, and it was so cute! He was holding one of the Captain's kids, who was really scared by the sirens, and was just crying. So sad! Jason thought that we had missed him (which we did), but I did some crazy driving skills, parked at a bar, and got to our place just in time! We even found a spot in the shade!! I was really impressed with the Parade- they had some pretty sweet floats. It totally put the Danville Parade to shame. After the parade, straight on to...







12:00 pm- Firefighter Lunch; I arrived with my darling, sweaty baby (it was 100 today!), and we hunkered down for a fabulous afternoon. We had a BBQ, which since I hadn't eaten since the race, REALLY hit the spot. We were able to enjoy our time with good friends, and the vibe was just so awesome. There were 5 retiring firefighters who had between them 158 years of service, and there was an honor guard retirement ceremony for them. As the honor guard saluted them, there was a page that went out signaling one final page for them. I don't know even know these people, but I found myself shedding a few tears. There were many teary eyes in the pavilion. I made Jason take a picture with his Captain, Captain Engaman, who actually lives right down the street from us, and also works for Orem Fire. Jason felt really awkward, like I was "that" mom, but Captain is such a nice guy, that it doesn't matter! I know Jason will want to remember his *first* Captain even one day! Have I mentioned lately that I love summer, and summer is so much fun when you're NOT pregnant?

We went home, tried to take a little nap, stripped down because it was so hot, and just laid there as the lawnmower woke Hazen up. So sad. We also went to the pool at 5 pm, and Hazen loved every minute of it. I'll post pictures of pool trips later! While I am so tired that I just want to collapse, today was such a fantastic day. It made me really grateful for a wonderful city, a fantastic husband who works hard for a great job, a fantastic family, and great friends. Life, while it might be "challenging" sometimes, is so good.

12 comments:

Grandma Turtle said...

THANKS very much for sharing all the funness of Strawberry Days. I want to have my Family Reunion down there next summer just for the Rodeo! We loved going to the rodeo when we were kids. Do you know of any places to rent down there? Or are there any good camping grounds? Hey, we saw Dean and Rachael today in Idaho Falls. We especially loved the pictures of your little family in her Mother's Day picture book.

Hannah said...

Yay! Congrats on your first 5k!

Ashley Clark said...

Ok. I'm so sad I missed this by one week. :(

Unknown said...

Anne-

he looks so handsome in a uniform!!

weeze or Alissa said...

OH way congrats on the 5K!!! addictive yes??? Super call me up and we'll do a fab. cousin 5K! And congrats to the newest firefighter. I'm trying to convince Samuel that he wants to be a firefighter when he grown up. so we'll see. And that sign, I can spell better than that I hope.

Emily said...

I love being a firefighter's wife!

Tristan said...

Seeing all the cute pictures and hearing about all the fun at Strawberry Days makes me miss PG SO SO much!

Nortorious said...

Yeah, I'm not seeing any strawberries. I don't understand this holiday.

Kirsten Krason said...

Yay for a 5k!!! Way to go. Don't you feel good about yourself. It is a really big accomplishment. At least I felt that way after I ran one. I love your yellow shirt btw.

Hazen5 said...

Good job running! I am so in for Strawberry Days next year. The kids would DIE!!!!

queenieweenie said...

You go girl!

By the way, where did you get your green shirt. It's REALLY cute!

Dave said...

...most kids grow up playing with toy fire engines...lucky kid.