Thursday, June 12, 2008

Friends on Earth, and Friends Above



"Each life that touches ours for good reflects thine own great mercy, Lord
Thou sendest blessings from above, through words and deeds of those who love.
What greater gift does Thou bestow? What greater goodness can we know?
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways, strengthen our faith, enrich our days.
When such a friend from us departs, we hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory, bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

For worthy friends whose lives proclaim devotion to the Savior's name
Who bless our days with peace and love, we praise thy goodness, Lord, above"


The most heartbreaking day of my life occurred the day that I left my Semester in Nauvoo, in the Winter of 2004. I know this might sound silly, especially because of some of the challenges that my life has seen since then, but it's true. When I reflect on the utter heartbreak that I felt upon saying goodbye to some of the closest and most beautiful friends I will ever have, the sting is just as real as it was that day.


I was privileged enough to spend 4 months in Nauvoo, Illinois one winter through BYU Travel study. While I was reluctant to go, heeding the Spirit's promptings TELLING me to go was the best decision for my testimony I've ever made. While there, not only did I go through a time of intense spiritual growth, but I bonded in a way different from any other friendships with many of the other students there. I think it was because we went through so many experiences together.

I still get teary-eyed thinking about some of the truly sacred experiences we shared. I love these people deeper than I believe anyone can ever understand. My heart still hurts sometimes because I miss them so much.

Last weekend, we were able to get together with a few people. The pure, unadulterated joy I felt from being with my brothers and sisters has made me almost hesitant to post this because it reminds me of how much I miss them. We went to a park, ate doughnuts, talked, laughed, and marveled at how all of our lives have changed.

We will never be able to recreate the experiences we had in a beautiful City on the Mississippi River here on earth, but I strongly believe that the deep bonds we share with each other are ones that will continue on. As we sang in our choir there,

"For the joy of human love,
Brother, sister, parent, child;
Friends on Earth and friends above,
For all gentle thoughts and mild;
Lord of all, to Thee we raise
This, our hymn of grateful praise"


10 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

i feel the same way about the people in cape verde where i served my mission. i still keep in touch with several of them, and there is no other relationship i have that can equal these in their uniqueness. those friendships are truly heaven-sent.

Hannah said...

Sweet post, Anne! I love good friends! Especially ones you can share the joy of the gospel with!

Scott said...

HERE, HERE. I don't know if I've ever heard of semester programs getting together after so much time has passed. I know ours was a truly special group, I thank my lucky stars I was able to be there in Nauvoo with you Anne, and there with everyone else. I still miss it, I still think about it, and i still have incriminating pictures of the fish heads. I have no idea how I got them, but wow.

Megan and Jonny said...

I WISH I HAD BEEN THERE!!! I can't believe it's been four years already. You did a wonderful job of describing how I feel about the time I spent and the people I met there. I still get frustrated when people ask me how Nauvoo was because I can't adequately express how amazing it was. And I'm so grateful for blogs so now I can keep up with everyone! You're fabulous, Anne. I love you.

Gabriella said...

I'm so sad I missed it! Matt's sister's wedding reception was that day. Thanks for posting pictures, they were fun to see. I too loved Nauvoo and hold all those people I met there in a special place in my heart.

Jen Bowen said...

I have to second Megan. Very well said. I remember that in the blessing when I got set apart for my calling out there I was told that I'd make lifelong friends. Thanks for bringing back so many special memories and for helping organize the mini-reunion. It was so good to see you and the others again.

Unknown said...

This is tender. I love it.

LinnieBell said...

Yay for Nauvoo!!! We just had a little get-together/reunion a few weeks ago, too! So many sweet memories! Nauvoo is such a special place and I love that my parent's live relatively close...I've been back several times in the last couple years!

Cheryl & Kyle said...

It was so good to so you Anne and others who were still there when I got to the park, and sorry to others who had already gone.

Scott, exactly how did you get those photos of FiSh HeAdS? good times:)

Emily said...

What a neat post. I wish I could have been there that weekend! It would be great to see people again. Nauvoo was such an incredible experience for me, as well. I have very fond memories of that semester four years ago. I want to take my family there someday to let them feel the amazing spirit in that city. I love that temple and would love to see it again in person. I'm so glad I was able to participate in that program!