Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Special Day



Dear Hazen,

Tonight you were very lucky. You had the opportunity to be only feet away from one of the greatest men who has ever walked the earth. Your daddy held you in your arms as we paid our final respects to our dear Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley. Many in the room cried, but not you. You just looked. You looked at him, and the Spirit in the room was unmistakable. I like to think that somewhere in that sweet little mind of yours, you knew how important and wonderful the man that you looked at was. We're going to miss him, aren't we? I remember the last time I heard him speak. We were at home, just you and me, and we lay snuggled up on the couch. You had only been home with me for 1 day, and every time he spoke words of love and peace, I held you closer.

Tonight, as we looked upon the resting body of our Prophet, I realized all of the great Prophets you will see come and go in your life. We're so lucky that we belong to a Church that is led by such great men. I hope you will pay close attention to their testimonies, because by doing so, you will learn to love them and the Savior, just like your Mom did.

As we left, and prepared to go home, we stopped by a floral arrangement. It said,

"Dear Grandpa,

We will always:

Be Grateful, Be Smart, Be Clean, Be True, Be Humble, and Be Prayerful,

Because we Love you.

Love, Your Great-Grandkids"

Hazen, we all have a lot to learn in this life. What a great roadmap with where to start. I love you, little boy.

Love, Your Mama

18 comments:

Ashley Clark said...

You're making me cry over here. Am I allowed to be jealous that you got to go?

Marisa said...

Incredible. I love that dear Hinckley family.

And by the way, yes, there really are times when I need to use that red pen in my purse. Isn't that ridiculous? :)

paige said...

That's so cool that you got to go! I am half jealous & half having a nightmare of what Polly would have been like...hopefully a little angel just like HAL!

Mandi said...

Way harsh. Okay, I guess I have just felt so guilty about the unreturned phone calls that I'm avoiding you all together. Enough is enough. Will you forgive!?! To add insult to injury... we found your acquire. I know... we could not be worse friends...This is my first step towards reconciliation... will you take the olive branch!?

Unknown said...

This is going to sound random in association with this post, but I had to tell you this. I was up in Seattle this past weekend and I was in a downtown Old Navy and this dad and his toddler boy were by me and the boy's name was Hazen!! I've never heard that name before you guys and now I've met two Hazens in the last few months. wow!!

Emily said...

I love all these posts about Hinckley. Every one I read gives me immediate tingles, especially this one. I'm glad Hazen got to see him.

Brandi Lyn said...

How special Anne. That will be so special for Hazen to read someday. I'm so jealous you got to go. What an amazing experience for your little family.

Jessica said...

Amazing that you were there. Thanks for the personal-experience-sharing.

Jenibelle said...

Note to self...stop reading Anne's blogs at work. People wonder why I am red-eyed.

My sister's went to the viewing yesterday also, they too said that the spirit was so strong. Both are semi-active and left with a greater testimony. Even in death he does great things.

Kirsten Krason said...

I am glad you wrote that to Hazen because he will never know the prophet like we did. It will be up to us to tell our children how great he was!

Ali said...

well said, Anne. thanks for sharing.

Celia Fae said...

I can read it so much better now. Thanks for bolding.

I totally would have gone to the viewing if I could have. I'm so glad you went and told us all about it.

The Watson Family said...

Oh Anne! I just love you! I love that you write HAL these sweet letters! He will always be grateful!

Ellie said...

You look so cold. I'm glad you had the spirit to warm you up.

Kirsten Krason said...

Wow I just noticed that. I don't know whether to laugh or be offended. LOL

paige said...

P.S. No hard feelings about the "Dump Your Bag Tag," I have just had such boring things to blog about, I kept hoping someone would tag me! :) I guess I could just do it anyway & be a "wannabe."

Kirsten Krason said...

I am hopefully going to be moving there in June. Living with the parents in provo. Unless you and Jason want some roommates. :)

Hazen5 said...

Great Post! Love your new look. Kiss Hazen for me.