Sunday, January 27, 2008

The last of a marathon of posting!



I actually had a few minutes that I could sit down and write. The baby is sleeping, Jason is watching some man movie on TV, and we're snuggled up in the warmth of our house after church. This next post might seem a little blunt, but this is my journal, and I want to record my feelings. Heather says that my blog can be cryptic at times, and this will probably be no exception. Those of you who know me well enough know precisely what I'm talking about.

I'm sorry if I seem sappy in the past few posts. I guess there are just times when one reflects on their duties as parents and faces fears that they might have. All I know, is that I have a great husband who works really really hard to give Hazen and I, and any other kids we're going to have the best life possible. Sometimes it doesn't seem like Jason gets the credit he deserves from people in his life, which makes me irate. He is such a good Daddy and an excellent Husband. He's a fantastic provider, and while the steps that he has taken in his life to get him where he is, and where he's going aren't "conventional", he always puts his family first, which I am so grateful for. It's so interesting to look upon our move to Utah, and see how much better off emotionally, spiritually, financially EVERYTHING we are now, than we were a year ago. It's so frustrating to me that there are people in one's life that sometimes can't get past their own sadness or insecurities to really see how certain decisions can enhance the lives of those they supposedly love. Needless to say, we are so happy. Our life is filled with laughter, smiles, love and hard work. Deciding to start a family and move to Utah was hands down the best decision we've ever made. Jason has one last test, and then he should receive the green light for the job at the prison. This job will single-handedly get us into a home. We feel so blessed.

Life isn't so black and white, is it? To some, it's a road-map with no deviation. You go on a mission, you go to college for four years. You graduate, get married, have the same job for the rest of your life and live in the same home until the day you die. Throw some kids in there, and you're good to go. I can't tell you how unhappy Jason and I would be if that's the route that we took. Yes, Jason is older than some and it took him some time to decide what he "wanted to be", but I can confidently tell you that I would prefer him to decide earlier in his life before he really had a family to provide for than wake up one morning when he's 40 and realize he's miserable because he "stuck to the map". It's just not the way we are. I hope our kids aren't that way either. We want them to REALLY search out what it is that makes them happy, and then take the necessary steps to reach that goal. When we signed up for an eternity together, we knew it would be an adventure, and we wouldn't take it any other way. Does doing things not so much the "conventional" way signify irresponsibility? Not at all. Are our bills paid? Are we provided for in all of the crucial quadrants of life other than JUST money? You betcha. Bring on the unconventional, I say. Our lives could have turned out so differently, but at the end of the day, I am so grateful for my little family. They are what drives me, and I wouldn't change a thing.

11 comments:

paige said...

Way to go, making your own map out of life! That's how I feel with Lorin graduating...it will happen someday, right? Haha. :) I love all your cute pictures of Hazen, he is getting big & I think he's the cutest thing! Thanks for all the posts! It kept me busy during Lorin's Sunday Nap!

Anonymous said...

I totally feel ya. Sometimes Rob and I hate going to church, because so many people are like, "So what are you guys doing now...?" and I just want to be like "We're both 23... we're still figuring things out. What do you care??" I know they are just trying to be nice but sometimes it is such a pain when people expect you to always know how your life is mapped out! So I applaud you guys. I love you both.

Hazen5 said...

You've been busy blogging! Love to read and catch up on your life! Hazen is a doll!

Kirsten Krason said...

Congrats to Jason on the job!! I think that you should just do what you love no matter how unconventional it may seem to other people. If he is doing what he loves to do that is what will make you and your kids happiest. I agree that there is no certain way that life should pan out for people. Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us and only WE know what that is. No one else should tell us what they think we should be doing. Loved the post!

heidiram said...

So I think I have said this before, but I'll just go ahead and say it again. I'm so glad you guys moved to Utah. I applaud those that are able to make it as newlyweds in the Bay Area. If we had only been smart and got the heck out a lot sooner, we would have been in a lot better shape financially. Why did we think we needed to stay in the Bay Area for so long . . . barely scraping by, living paycheck to paycheck, etc.?

And as for the whole way to do things . . . one word for that . . . WHATEVER. How old is Jason? Oh yeah, and how old is my hubby? And how many years did it take for Cristian to finally come to the realization that it was probably better for him to be happy doing what he was doing instead of doing what other people thought would be the best for his schooling, career, etc.? Jason is way ahead of the game. You are blessed to have him as a hubby. And Hazen is blessed to have him as a dad.

Hey, stop blogging and go figure out your life. JUST KIDDING! Love you Anne!

Candace said...

Anne, I feel ya. And for what it's worth I think you and your little family are amazing!

Ali said...

Very introspective and honest - something I so enjoy about your posts. By looking at our "story" it may seem like the traditional road map of a story, but you know, it's been the unexpected changes and spontaneous yet prayerful decisions that have blessed our life. While some consequences continue to unfold, life's been a great ride when you figure out that it doesn't matter what others think as long as you feel it's inline with God's will and you recognize those blessings... good grief, these are just a "few" thoughts your blog has inspired in my brain. Your family is awesome and I love "tagging" along via the blog.

Gabriella said...

That's why I love you Anne.

Ashley Clark said...

Ah, I think we all pass judgment a little too quickly. I will be the first to admit to that and that I do it more than I should. Thanks for the reminder that I need to do better! :-)

Jessica said...

I obviously don't know all the details, but those real posts are my favorite kind. Thanks for helping me get to know you a little better!

Jenibelle said...

Anne, this is Lolo's mom. At 46 my husband got ill and our whole life journey changed. Even when you are "old" the road isn't straight and easy to see in the distance. It's good you have had twists and turns and bumps in the road, then down the road if something happens you KNOW you can handle it together. Be happy.

BTW...I think Lolo might be falling in L--E. hummmmmmm. And also Hazen is adorable and what a great name and way to honor your Dad!