Monday, January 28, 2008

So Sad but So Grateful

A few years ago, I read about about the life of Marjorie Pay Hinkley, the wife of our dear Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley. As I read it, I was so touched by her kind soul, and their love for one another. Not only did it make me love her dearly, but my love for the Prophet grew as well.

I remember nearly four years ago, when I was in Nauvoo, Sister Hinckley passed away. There were many of us who cried. Not just because such a wonderful woman was no longer going to be with us, but because President Hinckley would have to live out the remainder of his earthly life without her.

Last night, at around 7 pm, President Hinckley passed away. While my heart aches for the Prophet who saw me through the sometimes tumultuous years of my youth, I am so grateful. Grateful for my testimony in the Gospel of Jesus Christ that was strengthened each time I listened to his words. Grateful for all of the work he has done for the Church, but mostly grateful for the Plan that allows our dear Prophet to be with his wife once again.

6 comments:

paige said...

I guess in the back of my mind it was like he was going to live forever! Last night I was torn - happy, sad? happy - sad? I think it will be like that for awhile because it's hard for me to imagine it any other way. It was a blessing to have him serving in the church for so many years.

Kirsten Krason said...

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. Everyone's lives are so different you know. And that's what is so great about it. We are all meant to do different things. No ones path is exactly the same thing but in the end we all want to end up where our prophet has. Back home with those we love.

Heather said...

Way to BE

AnnEE said...

Leave it to Heather to be funny at a time like this. You're funny.

Hazen5 said...

R.J. cried, he's my sensitive one!

Brandi Lyn said...

You could NOT have said it any better. My heart was broken and yet at the same time so happy for him. I can't imagine being away from my dear hubby for 4 years. He will always be so special to me.

Great job anne.