Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Simply Delicious!



I made this Chili last night for dinner, and it was delicious! I got it from the Everyday Food magazine for January/February. Jason and I are big Chili fans, but it's not always the MOST healthy meal. The best part about this?? It was a lighter beef chili, but it was just as good, if not better than any chili I've ever had before. It was only 241 calories per serving and 7 grams of fat. It had tons of protein and fiber, and it was definitely filling. I was full all night long!! I hate sharing recipes because I'm 1- lazy, and 2- I like having all of the secret good recipes, but this one is definitely worth sharing!

1 T vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 T tomato paste (I used sauce because I didn't have paste, and it was just fine)
2 T Chili powder (I used slightly less, because I ran out, still fine)
2 T UNSWEETENED cocoa powder (I was skeptical, but it REALLY enhances the flavor!)
1 lb ground beef sirloin (I used about 1/2 that, and it was still PLENTY chunky and thick)
2 cans diced tomatoes in juice
2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained

1- In a large, heavy bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. (Took me longer)

2- Add tomato paste, chili powder, and cocoa powder. Cook, stirring, until mixture is gragrant, about 1 minute. Add beef, and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3- 5 minutes

3- Add tomatoes (with their juice) and beans. Bring to a boil over high; reduce to a simmer, and cook until chili is slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.

I served it was a dallop of sour cream, and some sliced avocado. I also made a few cornbread muffins. A PERFECT and quick dinner for the 20 degree weather we're having!!

15 comments:

Sarah said...

YUM!!! I love homemade chili!


If we were to move, I think we would go to Denver, or eventually Austin, TX, since that is where my mom would be moving to. But he has so much family and history here, I don't think we will move unless we KNOW he has a better job opportunity somewhere else. I would love to live in Pleasanton, so far it is just my favorite neighborhood ever. But we'd have to seriously be making some bank for that to happen.

Wow, that chili does look so good. I just went from completely fine to starving in like, 30 seconds flat.

Ashley Clark said...

Thanks for posting the recipe. That does look delicious! I'll have to try it soon...

Hazen5 said...

I love Chili! But, I hate what it does to Rob! I really want to make this soon, Thanks for the recipe.

Heather said...

Rach-
Drain and rinse your beans then Rob won't be so musical.

I suspect you've had the dutch oven from Rob.

And the buttercup?

Jenibelle said...

THis is Lolo's mom...do you know "that Skyler character?!!!" If so, spill the beans. He is the stepson of an old childhood friend of mine. Weird huh? She of course says he's terrific....we'll see. I am so counting on Rob to embarass the crap out of him!!!

Jenibelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabriella said...

Yummy, I think I'll make that this weekend, thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

Hey-
we had chili last night as well. Too bad jackson spent most of the night throwing it back up. Here's hoping hte rest of us don't get sick.

Heather said...

Brad says

HMMMMM...Hairy Man Hands and chili.

What's for dinner tomorrow?

Lauren said...

i love how my mom is trying to sabotage on here!!! he's a good guy, i'm thinking i'm going to have to try this recipe for him!!

p.s. rob and rach come stay with ya'll for conference weekend again this year you'll get to meet him!!

Cheryl & Kyle said...

i wish i could partake in this chili recipe of yours but i have an aversion to chili ever since i got food poisoning from it and had unpleasantness

paige said...

That sounds great & cooking is about my least favorite thing to do these days! Hehe...how was Park City? We were there Friday morning/afternoon & it was FREEZING.

Hazen5 said...

Tag, you are it!

Fact:Bears eat beets said...

What's that tempura thing on top of the soup?

Anna said...

Sounds yummy, I will have to give it a try sometime.