Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mommy's little Face-biter



Hazen is biting. I'm not sure WHY, but it kind of seems like he does it when he's really excited or happy. However, this is a crappy habit. It also hurts and leaves marks. It also causes us to exclaim expletives, which doesn't go over well in church. What to do??

Hazen is also a carbo-vore. His new favorite food is pasta in meat sauce. The other night, he ate over a cup and a half of it. It was something amazing. Hazen also knows how to get into everything. Everything. Seriously. Everything. He's such a stinker, but he's so much fun, I'm crazy about him. I am, however, seriously exhausted. Today, Jason said, "Hazen, you are so cute and fun! How are we ever supposed to have another one?" I'm glad he FINALLY shares some of my sentiments. I've been saying for ages that Hazen is too perfect, and that we can't possibly match it. :o) Editors Note: He's not REALLY perfect, in fact, I invite anyone to take him off my hands from 4:15-6:00pm. He's kind of a nightmare then. We're both sick of each other by that time.


The other day, I left the room for 2 minutes. 2 MINUTES!! When I returned, he was playing with chemicals, and had unrolled an entire roll of paper towels. Waste not, want not me rolled it all back up. It's slightly homeless. Please don't ask for a paper towel if you're at my house in the next week or so, thanks.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Hmmm... is it too early to teach him how to clean windows? What a little goober! Do you guys have anything like a water play table?

It helped during "bewitching hour" with 2 of the kids I nannied to have a certain activity that was off-limits the rest of the day. Then about 10 minutes before I knew it would be meltdown time, I would take them out to the activity and get out of their way... seriously, like stay out of his business when he is doing it.

The best thing I have found has been a water play table. Besides filling it with water (yay!) and sand (boo! messy) you can fill it with dried noodles, rice, beans, and things to scoop it all with. Usually these tables have a cover so you can keep it covered the rest of the day and just bring it out for this time.

As for the biting... that's tough. That tends to happen around a year old from a combination of teething and relieving that pain and just being curious as to what those little teeth can do. I'd suggest just firmly saying "No biting!" and then put him down or walk away from him. Just like a puppy- when he does something undesirable like that, stop giving him any attention at all, positive or negative, and walk away. Hopefully it will stop because he will want to play with you.


But that's just been my experience and with other people's kids... haven't had to deal with it quite yet with my own. I am sure I will be asking you all of this stuff in a year. ;-)

Gabriella said...

He's so cute Anne, I know exactly how you feel regarding having your house torn apart in minutes, and the whole biting thing. Kate used to bite and my mom told me to flick her (lightly) on the mouth when she would do it. It took two times, she screamed because I hurt her feelings (not because it hurt), but she hasn't bitten since. That was about two months ago.
Also, I was just thinking about how far Hazen has come in a year and what a miracle he is to be at the point that he is. What a beautiful family you have!

Amanda Fetters said...

Oh Anne, my love!!! We are in the same boat, methinks. I hate the biting -- but every time she bites, I think -- well hey, at least there's one good thing about not nursing, right? And 4:15-6 is L's witching hour, too. She's sick of me, I'm sick of her, and voila, stressed-out mommy-baby duo. It's awesome.

weeze or Alissa said...

yea, that whole bite them back thing really doesn't work so well. April has biters, you should ask her. SHe has lots of behavior fixes

Liz said...

I always thought if a kid bit you, you were supposed to bite him back - perhaps that's too cruel, but supposedly they learn fast ;). Hazen is so cute! I haven't checked blogs in so long - I can't believe how big he's getting.

Er Bear said...

I totally understand the end of the day nightmare!! Bria and I are both so sick of each other by the end of the day that its grumpy time at our house for the last hour before bed:) Its a good thing they are cute right?! miss ya!!

Kirsten Krason said...

Ha Ha the paper towel thing is priceless. I admit I am a bit nervous about the baby on the loose thing when I have kids. Perhaps I will have to invest in a good baby cage. Or just have you come over and take care of them.

Michele said...

Had to read the comments for some good tips on biting. Andrew also has joined the biting club. Now I have a few new ideas to try out.
By the way, Hazen gets more adorable everyday.

Paige said...

haha - I love that you rolled up the paper towels again. That is something that Lorin & I would do, also something everyone in our families would make fun of us for. Oh well - what to do when Polly starts unrolling toilet paper? So far so good. Hazen is cute as ever. Good luck from 4:15 - 6:00 today. I totally know what you mean by being sick of each other by then! I'm usually only sick of Bruce at 4:00 in the morning...hopefully he will just skip over the biting phase. Yeah right - Polly has been in it for a year. Good luck with that one, I don't understand how being excited translates into biting? But it does. Next time I see you I might not be able to hold myself back from sinking my teeth into your shoulder...what?