Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Food Storage




Remember this post? Well, in the past 2 1/2 months, I've started trying to amp up my food storage. What with the prices of EVERYTHING going up, I needed to do my part to help my little family be prepared for anything. So, I listened to Heather, she helped me get started at this site, and look at how much my personal storage has grown!! I feel that I've failed at a week of grocery shopping if I don't save at least 40%. It feels so good that our grocery budget hasn't changed, but now our fridge and freezer is FULL, and we're having to find inventive places to put food in our pantry. I have enough toothpaste, brushes, soap, and deodorant to last us MONTHS, I'm working on getting us enough to last us at least a year- why not when you're paying no more than $.60 per brush?

Since Heather and Heidi were so kind to teach me how to do it, I'm willing to teach you, to impart my wisdom, and help your little family save some serious cash. However....*disclaimer, I might sound snotty in the next few sentences*, You need to know a few things:

1- This takes time; I budget at least an hour to two hours on Sunday nights. Plus, I go grocery shopping first(ish) thing Monday morning. Yesterday, the savings were so out of control, I actually was shopping from 7 am until 10:30. But, I got roughly $230 worth of stuff for about $95. Aubrey and I felt like we were literally STEALING from Rite-Aid!!

2- You're not going to necessarily save 65% the first time you go, and some weeks are better than others; This takes time to build up. I've been collecting the coupons in the Sunday paper since April 20th. (This was especially useful this week, when I actually got to USE one that was that old!)

3- I will take the time to teach you; HOWEVER, if you don't think that you're actually going to become committed to this, don't ask. It's like when people ask me about the mystery shopping, "Hey, I want to get into it!!", and I take all the time to explain everything, and then they never do it. That's really obnoxious. Clipping coupons sometimes gives me a headache, and if I'm getting a headache for you, you better use it. Case in point: Aubrey, my RGAFBILHTPF (sorry, use of inside jokes are irritating sometimes) asked me about it one week. The next week, I went to her house to clip. The next day, I accompanied her shopping. (See, she's following through...) She saved like, 69%- it was ridiculous. The following week? She came over to clip. The next day, we went shopping together; more great savings. Just two days ago? We spent an evening clipping whilst our husbands played the Wii, went shopping for 3 1/2 hours yesterday, and enjoyed the fruits of our labors. She's committed, and I appreciate her not wasting my time. :o)

So, interested?Go to the site above, and sign up for their 4 week $1 trial, then call me. Or not. But you will save money, and you will be happy, and you will be going to Disneyland with all of the money you've saved. Oh wait, that's just me.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Actually, I do want to do this. My mom is coming tonight and I am going to ask her to help me set up my coupon box (like she had) so I can start clipping. After we settle in with the baby, I think we are FOR SURE going to start doing this. I know it takes awhile, but it is so worth doing. I just wish our store doubled coupons... that'd would be like 50 times better! But they don't... still worth it though!

One big qusetion: how do you determine a food budget? I am just now learning about budgeting and we have always just gone to the store with a budget in mind for THAT trip. I don't know where to start with that part. Any rockin' websites you can recommened for that?

Ashley Clark said...

You, your sisters, and I might just put Right Aid out of business. :)

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heidiram said...

And don't forget to put Anne as the one who referred you to GG. Then she gets even more free weeks of GG subscription.

Liz said...

Do you have to have a subscription to the Sunday paper for this to work?

Grandma Turtle said...

Way to go on your food storage! It gives you peace of mind, I bet.

Ashley Clark said...

Where did all your blog readers/commenters go? I come here looking for witty comments and nothing.

Aubrey said...

Really good awesome friend because I love her to pieces forever?

thought so.

Aubrey said...

Really Good Awesome Friend Because I Love Her To Pieces Forever?

Yeah, thought so. :-P

Kirsten Krason said...

I am interested but not right now. My parents are buying all my food. But i will ask my mom if she wants to participate. Then when we get into a house with our own kitchen I'll get back to you. Way to go though!

weeze or Alissa said...

what is the address??

Brandi Lyn said...

I do want to do this...not only that but i NEEED to do this. Share your wisdom oh wise one, i'm listening! And btw, are you going to call me back cus i'm s.e.r.i.o.u.s. about the secret shopper thing.

"Serious" - it's my middle name.