Monday, April 7, 2008

Paying Our Dues

I am going to complain for a minute. This is so one day our kids can look back, and realize that they are in no way entitled to have the life that we inevitably will have worked very hard for. This is just a vent, and I don't want anyone to think that I'm ungrateful for all of the opportunities that Jason has.

With that said: I miss my husband. He leaves every morning at about 6:45, and works until 5 pm. After that, on Mondays and Wednesdays, he comes home for about an hour, and then he goes to Chemistry, until about 10- except for tonight, when he's on duty for the Fire Department, so he just got home: at 9:30; but his pager is on, so he could be forced to leave his dinner as we speak and go running out to door to save some lives. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, he goes straight to the Fire Academy. I bring him dinner, and he gets home around 10. If he's lucky, he can give the baby a kiss as I pass the dinner through the window. Fridays, he gets home at around 6- so that's nice. Saturdays, he has Fire Academy from 8-12, or like last week, 8-almost 2. Sundays, unless he's working for the Department, I get him.

He's busy, and being a single mom is hard. I will say that it has shown me what I CAN do, but I'll admit that by Friday evening, if I have to look at one more diaper, or worry about changing clothes one more time, I think I might pass out. I am so lucky that Hazen is such a perfect little baby. I feel bad for him though, because he's teething, so last night, for example, he was up twice absolutely shrieking in pain. Thank goodness for Tylenol.

The upside? This will not be forever. I am grateful for a husband who spends every minute that he's not at work/school/Fire Academy fully devoted to his family. After July, things will substantially calm down....for a while, at least!

So what am I trying to say? Life is hard right now. Not in the conventional hard way, but in the I'm really lonely, so I go to Kneaders for lunch just so I can sit next to random people and talk to them way. Luckily though, this isn't anything harder than anything we've done before. Vent done.

6 comments:

paige said...

Good vent. Sometimes I get sick of long hours. With school, work & working late shifts I sometimes feel the same way. I go to Arctic Circle to have a shake & let Polly play on the slides because we have nothing else to do. Sometimes the only way to get alone time from Polly (not that she is bad, of course I love her!) is to let her play on the play ground & slides while I enjoy a shake & some fries. Maybe if we got together more it would help out our lonely situations. :)

Unknown said...

I totally understand. Jeremy and I have been paying dues for quite some time and just recently I finally feel like we've graduated (it only took 9 years!)
He has had to work overnight for years, missed many many holiday activites, time with family, time with friends and like you, I've had to do a lot on my own with the kids. But you become a wonderful and resourceful woman because of it. I promise.

good luck

Kirsten Krason said...

I love vent posts! They are the best. I know how you feel. Well kinda. Josh has been living in Utah for like two months and I can only see him like every other weekend. It sucks. If I had a kid I would be dying of sadness. That is probably why I blog so much. Makes me feel less lonely :(

Ashley Clark said...

Great to talk to you today. This post makes me happy. Not because I want you to be lonely, etc. but because it is nice to know that other people are struggling, like me. Thank you for being so honest.

Also, I love the cute Hal pictures, but I think Jason needs his own post. He's pretty awesome.

heidiram said...

HIGHLAND'S TEETHING TABLETS. Forget the tylenol. And please don't give Hal oragel. Have you tried it before? Not cool. If it does that do an adult's mouth/teeth . . . just imagine the poor babies.

As for hypnotist, haven't had a chance to look into it. Tuesday is my crazy day. I'll check into it.

Connie said...

Unfortunatley I don't think you ever stop paying dues. It is always something!