Thursday, April 10, 2008

Doing My Part

I don't know how to attach pictures from the internet to make my blog better...maybe someone can teach me someday, but I feel very strongly after reading an article that it is my job to maybe clear up a little something to my small realm of influence as far as my church is concerned. Let me begin by stating that the FLDS Church: Fundamental Latter Day Saints is NOT the same as the LDS Church: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. With that said, the activity that has been occurring on the Polygamist Compound over the past week or so is entirely not related to our church. The fact that the word "Mormons", which is a commonly used name for members of the LDS church, has been thrown around so often breaks my heart.

The LDS church is not Polygamist. The colonies of Polygamists that you so often hear about do not belong to the same church that I do. I find it very interesting that at our last General Conference, just last weekend, there was a talk given by Richard G. Scott, one of our Apostles about "Healing the Shattering Consequences of Abuse". Correct me if I'm wrong, but this talk was given days before any of this nonsense occurred in Texas. Talk about Divine Inspiration.

I think the thing that upsets me the most about this is the talk of the Temple. I've never been inside of an FLDS Temple, but I have had many beautiful and sacred experiences inside the LDS Temple, so I can only speak what I know to be true. The fact that there are "marriage beds" inside the FLDS Temples both sickens me and breaks my heart. I guess I'm so upset by this because as a member of the LDS Church, where we have over 100 temples on the earth today, I hate to see such a sacred place possibly be tarnished. We don't talk about what goes on inside the Temple, not because it's a big fat secret, but because it's such a sacred place where we can become closer to God and our Savior, Jesus Christ. There, we can also learn more about ourselves, which is such a beautiful opportunity. I can tell you: There are no marriage beds in our Temples. We do not publicly consummate our marriage in front of many others- in fact, sex is a sacred thing to be enjoyed only by a husband and wife.

Argh. That's about it, but I just wanted to try to help clear up any confusion that might have been caused by all of this jazz. Any questions, please ask.

5 comments:

Megan and Jonny said...

I completely agree with everything you said. While most (not all) news sources have been careful about announcing that the FLDS are NOT part of the LDS church, I figure most people aren't really listening. When I read about the bed inside their temple, it broke my heart, too. Especially since I know that now people will associate our temples with such a disgusting practice. So sad...

Heather said...

Sadly I know it will be tarnished.

Like the way I feel about priests. I sort of figure they are all dirty pedas. Its not right, but I sort of look twice at them now. (maybe its not really the same)

Nortorious said...

On a PC:
Find a picture that you like. Right click with your mouse. Choose "save picture." Name the picture and save it somewhere easy to find, maybe start saving to desktop. When you're uploading pictures, browse and click the one you saved. Voila, picture uploaded.

Kirsten Krason said...

It's horrible. I cringe every time I hear them say the "FLDS" church. This whole ordeal breaks my heart too. And you just know there will be so many who connect it with our church. thanks for tying to clear the air!

paige said...

Thanks for the post. I have been gone all weekend & need to be brought up to speed! Just what I have read here makes me sad & makes me wonder if I really want to find out more...it just makes me feel worse! Totally true about the talk on abuse. Even as I was listening to it, I thought - there has to be a reason for the timing of this talk. The subject is so sensitive & must have a deeper meaning than I am grasping right now.