Monday, August 27, 2007

Vague post on vague information

I promise updates, so I guess that I have to follow through. The tone of this post is probably going to be more upbeat, although, the information is exponentially worse.

Remember the time that I complained because no one knew anything? I think the unknown is a whole lot less of a biatch than the truth. So, they got the placental report back. I guess that it's standard for premies. There were a lot of strange things on it, so Dr. Gerday, the stuttering (but really really really good) French guy made an appointment with me at 5 to discuss some of the findings. I walked in there, and immediately, 3 drs, 2 respiratory therapist, and 2 nurses all pulled up chairs next to me. My first cause for concern and alarm.

He informed me that there were 2 main problems with the placenta. 1- a good portion of it had died. So, in reality, if they hadn't of taken the baby when they did, he would have died for sure. Now the bad news. 2- There were large calcium deposits located throughout the placenta. This is really rare in such premature babies, and the calcium deposits, combined with the seizures and his lethargy gives them extremely valid reason to believe that my sweet baby will have lasting brain damage. We won't know until the end of the week the extent or severity, but this was like a slap in the face.

In good news, the Dr did tell me that his life wasn't in jeapordy, but I never ever ever imagined that I'd be faced with the very possible reality that I'd be taking home a handicapped baby. I still love him desperately, and I still count down the days until I can take him home, but I just can't believe how much life keeps on crapping on us. Let's all pray that the MRI shows little to no damage, and that he can lead a relatively normal life. I love my little boy, and I know all you do too, I can feel it in your sweet, loving comments. You have no clue how much they sustain me.

In other news, lets have a shoutout to the Greenan sisters. In the words of Paige on my sister's blog, they are now our "I deal with family dysfunction with vicious humor" sisters. I will say, that I must be the favorite Hazen however, because I'm pretty sure that ALL of the Greenan sisters commented on my last blog, except for Camille, but good ole Pam "jumped the shark" when she had her, so I guess I'm not missing much! :o)

Here's to a better day tomorrow, because seriously, life has GOT to throw us a bone at some point. I'll let you know what we find out as soon as we get the MRI back. And as soon as I actually understand this better.

20 comments:

Natalie Z said...

Hang on girl. The bone is coming...so get ready to catch it...I can just feel it.

Nana said...

Dear Anne Jason and Hal.....
this is overwhelming for all of you..I'm not sure what you might need at this point in this journey...but do know this...we are all there to hold you on our shoulders for just a moment when you need a rest...We get this part..Lovin and prayin for all you

Unknown said...

Don't throw in the towel just yet - We'll all figure this out. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...Lots of love to you and yours.

heidiram said...

O.K. first question . . . totally OT . . . who are the Greenan sisters? And how does everyone know them?????

My prayers are with you. I love you guys!

mamasuisse said...

Hi Anne. I'm Liz Edgren's sister. I've been reading your blog since just before HAL was born. Just want you to know that we're praying for you guys.

Hazen5 said...

Anne, I just talked to "The Mom"! Love you guys and give each other a big hug from us! The kids include Baby HAL in their prayers every day. So many people are thinking of you all.

Celia Fae said...

Anne, the real trick would be to get Pam to comment. I'm going to work on that. We're dying a little inside here. Good luck with the MRI. Let's hope the doctors are wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Natalie Z said...

Anne,
Every night I say a prayer for your and little family. Know that you are always in my thoughts and I am always asking the Lord to bless you. I hate that I am not there to help you. I will be up there next week and have every intention of coming over and doing your hair, painting your nails, pampering you basically, and then I will sit with you and if need be cry, sob, laugh, smile, talk whatever. Love you girl.

Ali said...

Anne,
I am sending every positive vibe, thought, pray your way! I am so sorry. But... he is here and he is here to stay!!

Liz said...

I love you Anne! Your families names are in the Sacramento temple. We're praying for you always.

Paige said...

Um, wow I feel honored that my nasty words could end up on such a sweet post! Hoping for good news-

Anonymous said...

I love you Anne! Let me know if you need a ride anywhere or anything. I am so proud of you for being such a great mommy. You're the best and Hazen is lucky to have you and Jason as parents!

Kirsten Krason said...

Hey anne I have never left a comment on a blog so I hope this works but I just want you to know Josh and I are thinking of you and mentioning you and Hazen in our prayers. You are so strong whether you like it or not and I know you will get through this! Thanks for blogging it is good to stay updated.

paige said...

I can't top anything that has already been said! I am thinking of you & praying for you as always. Hang in there. As hard as it is for you to keep going, I appreciate you keeping up on the blog so we know how you are doing. Love ya!

Celia Fae said...

Saw the pictures. I hate crying. Is it weird to love someone's baby that you hardly know?

Celia Fae said...

Could you please email me so everyone doesn't see how truly weak I really am?

Rebecca Hawkins said...

Hey my favorite Anne! I know you have way more important things on your mind, but I do have one question for you. Why is your blogspot green and not pink? I was a little unsure if I got the right page when I first pulled it up. I do hope all is well. Know that I love you and I am praying for you and your family.

Nortorious said...

Handicapped babies will be yours to love and cuddle forever.
I love your baby, too.
Thanks for the shout out. Go GangGreenan. Heidi -- Greenan sisters are a small pack of vicious women who make riotous comments on various blogs. Paige, Celia, Nor, Ellie, Cam, Val. I think Paige knows Ann in real life, the rest of us know her through blogging.

Alli said...

anne, you are an amazing mom. a MOM! can you beleive it?! i love you anne. we are all still with you, and praying, and thinking about you and your little family every day!

Dallas and Krista said...

Anne you are doing such a great job. HAL is so lucky to have you. Hang in there. XOXO