Sunday, May 24, 2009

Weekly Feature: Grilled Pizza



The Asparago

Ingredients:

1 bunch (1 lb) fresh asparagus
Pinch of salt
2 Tbs EVOO
1 Grilled Pizza Crust
1 Tbs grated Parmesan
1 C shredded mossarella
1/2 c Pesto
4 oz (or more if you like!) Brie, cut into small slices

Garnish

1 Tbs pine nuts, toasted

Instructions:

1. Cut about 2 inches off the ends of the asparagus stems, and then cut into 2-inch pieces. Wash the asparagus under cold running water, and leave wet. The moisture will help steam them in the pan. Sprinkle with salt.

2. Heat 1 Tbs of EVOO in a skillet on medium-high. Add the asparagus and sprinkle again with salt. Saute briefly for 5 to 7 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus, until it becomes slightly limp.

3. Brush the grilled side of the pizza crust with the remaining Tbs of EVOO and dust with the Parmesan. Sprinkle with the mozzarella, then drop spoonfuls of the Pesto onto the pizza. Add the asparagus pieces and lay the slices of Brie beside the asparagus.

4. Grill. Garnish with the pine nuts before serving.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this was AMAZING. Absolutely incredible, delicious, and something that I'm going to crave again and again. I can't begin to explain how amazing the meld of flavors was- it was such a pleasant surprise! Even the boys who didn't think that it would taste very good were huge fans!

A few notes to address the questions that I've received about grilling pizza. You can buy store bought, frozen dough, buy it from a Pizzeria, or make it. I've just bought the dough from the Pizza Factory every time, because it's super easy, and only $3/pizza. When grilling, you're going to want to grill the first side of the dough for about 5 minutes, or until it looks "rustic". Don't have the grill on high- and if you can manage indirect heat, that's even better. Just take it to your BBQ outside, and be prepared for something delicious!

When you finish grilling the first side, flip it over, brush with the EVOO, and begin to garnish your pizza. DON'T overload the Pizza, or else it will be lame, and not as awesome as my pizzas. When you're adding the sauces, listen to me, and DROP the spoonfuls of, and DON'T spread it. People sitting in your kitchen will ask you why you're not spreading it. Your husband will encourage you to spread it. Smile politely, and, while thinking rude things in your head, remind them that you know what's up, and to get out of your kitchen. Not spreading the sauce allows for you to get a unique flavor in every bite. It's delicious and amazing.

There. You have your recipe. Comment, and you'll get the recipe for next week!


11 comments:

samunwritten said...

Shut up. That looks amazing.

diane said...

Do you deliver?

Aubrey said...

Technically, I don't *have* to comment, being as I was present for next week's recipe and know how rockin it is.

also, if I wanted the recipe, I would break into your house and steal the book. which I might do anyway.

Stephanie said...

You are my inspiration. I am trying grilled pizza. As soon as Andrew gets home in a week, because I don't know how to work the grill. How pathetic am I?

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

yum!

Ashley Clark said...

Dang my ghetto 1-bedroom apartment with no balcony, hence no grill.

heidiram said...

Yeah, so I can't even do pizza crust when I buy it at the pizzeria . . . let alone trying to GRILL it. That would be just a recipe for disaster if I tried it. But keep practicing and I will try your amazing pizzas in the summer.

Kirsten Krason said...

I was there that night. My first time tasting brie. Thank you for the experience.

queenieweenie said...

yum, yum, YUM!

Jenibelle said...

Nummy, nummy nummy. Can I use a different cheese? Not a huge brie fan.

R+M said...

I love this weekly feature, it's a great idea and it is so inspiring!

wow, I realized Hazen was born early but it isn't until actually being pregnant that I realized how early he was and how scary that must have been! He's so cute and such a little fighter. I am just holding my breath until I get to full term!