Saturday, August 8, 2009

Happy Birthday, My Love


Dear Hazen,

Two years ago, everything about my world changed, because I met you. I feel inadequate trying to express my feelings towards you in words, because if I could ever hope to pen a portion of how deep my love really goes, I would spend the remainder of my life authoring novels just for you.

I try not to get caught up in the depth of my emotion about you too often, because I find it overwhelming and so, so humbling. Hazen, as your mother, I don't know that you will ever know how much I love you. I don't know why Heavenly Father entrusted such a special soul to me, but it brings me to my knees in gratitude that He did.


Every child is a special gift from God, but you, Hazen, are my miracle. The moment that you entered this world, my universe started spinning on an entirely new axis, and there was not one thing in my life that didn't change for the better. Our first days together were so hard, little boy, but I'm grateful, because they allowed us to form a bond that I don't know I would be able to have otherwise.

Hazen, you can be a conundrum. Somedays, you drive me crazy. Some days, I yell at you, and we fight with one another, but invariably on those days, one of us will break down in tears and run into one another's arms. Why? Because we belong together. You and I, we're made from the same mold, and as insane as we make one another some days, and WILL for the rest of our lives, we just can't live without each other.

Hazen, you cause me to want to be not only the best mother to you that I can be, but the best woman that I know how to be. I will not settle to be mediocre, because you, my dear, deserve better than that. You are such a smart, strong, incredible little boy, and as I watch you grow and learn and touch those around you, I am in awe of the things that you'll become.

I thought I loved you 2 years ago. That was only a sliver of the love I have for you now. I can't wait to spend forever being your Mom. Happy Birthday, Buddy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who took those pictures?! They are beautiful! I keep looking at your title picture to compare and I can't believe how much he's grown up. Happy Birthday HAL!

Amanda Fetters said...

Aww that made me all teary-eyed. Amazing family photos...I love em!

Papa Nacho said...

Happy Birthday Hal

I'm grateful I've had this past year to get to know better and to find out what a special spirit you are.

I will continue to lift you up to make those baskets as long as I can because you lift me up emotionally every time I'm with you.

And don't you ever worry about being hungry when you're with Grandpa. I've always got a cracker somewhere for my little guy.

Have a great day and we'll have more fun on our way to your third birthday. I love parties!

Grandpa

Miss Mary said...

What a beautiful birthday tribute to such a sweet little boy! You are such a good mama!

James and Lauren said...

I think that eloquently expressed every feeling that mothers have for their children. Good job. You are great anne!

Heidi Louise said...

Do I cry now or cry later? That was the sweetest thing ever! And your family picture at the end is BEAUTIFUL! But so are you!!! LOVE YOU!

Hazen5 said...

Happy birthday Cute Hal! We wish we could be with you to celebrate. We love you!