Monday, March 24, 2008

An Exciting Development


Jason wrote most of what I'm about to write on his family website, and the way that he put it was so nice that I thought that it would be important for me to write it on the blog, as well.

Hazen had a really exciting development last night. While Jason was changing his diaper (yes, he does that!), he looked up to watch what was playing on the TV, and when he looked back down, Hazen had rolled to his tummy! Thinking that it could be a fluke, we turned him back over to his back, and watched as he did it over and over and over again! I can't tell you how much my heart sailed as I watched my baby do something for the first time! He had the cutest look on his face- he seemed so self-satisfied. The fact that Jason and I were cheering like monkey's for him probably doesn't hurt, either.

Now, the reason that it is so exciting for us: I know that all parents get happy when their baby does things for the first time, but for us, it's like taking a little bit of a weight off of our shoulders. I can't express how grateful I am for each of the little things that Hazen does: especially because they're just about on-time. Every time I see him do something new, my mind reverts back to how it felt sitting in the NICU, surrounded by so many Drs, all who were convinced that the chances of Hazen being severely brain damaged were extremely high. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about it, but days like yesterday both humble me, and also fill me with the deepest sense of gratitude I've ever felt. I've never felt God's love like I do now that I have a child. I know that we're not supposed to be "proud", but I couldn't help but scoop the HALster up in my arms and whisper how proud I am of his strength and fighting spirit. He truly is my little angel.

So, gone are the days where we can just plop him wherever, but I'll gladly give those up to know that I have a beautiful, healthy little boy!

*The picture has nothing to do with it, but it's Abbie and him holding hands, and I thought it was cute!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So... this post made me cry. I am glad you have a beautiful, healthy little boy too! And I liked the part when you said you and Jason were cheering like monkeys. I can only imagine what that looked like. We should all cheer like monkeys more often.

Brandi Lyn said...

Wow, i agree with the above comment...i'm a bit misty eyed. That was beautiful. You are such a wonderful mother. I too have never felt God's love stronger than since we've had Nicci. Children are literal gifts from our Father in Heaven. I love how you depict that and your feelings so beautifully when you write.

Wonderful post!

Brandi Lyn said...

Wow, i agree with the above comment...i'm a bit misty eyed. That was beautiful. You are such a wonderful mother. I too have never felt God's love stronger than since we've had Nicci. Children are literal gifts from our Father in Heaven. I love how you depict that and your feelings so beautifully when you write.

Wonderful post!