Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Life-Changing Man


We could have gone anywhere for our school break, but we decided to go to California because of a very important celebration that was to be happening. My choir teacher from High School, Mr. Abrams was celebrating his 25th anniversary of teaching at San Ramon, and there was to be a celebratory concert and reception in his honor. I didn't know how I could possibly not go, as his influence in my life has been something that will stick with me forever.


It was just as wonderful as I could have hoped for. There were a few of the alumni that I graduated with, but most importantly, I was reminded at why Abram's is so amazing, talented, and why having him in my life in High School changed me the way that it did. Towards the end of the concert, he lined the Seniors up, and sat them down to teach them some "life lessons". These lessons so perfectly outlined the core values that are so intrinsic to the way I lead my life today.

-Take care of yourself. First impressions are vital. If you treat yourself like you like who you are, people will like you
-Don't procrastinate. When do you, things are apt to not be done to your full potential.
-When you do things, do them right. Your name is associated with your actions, and you need to honor and respect your name if you want people to respect you
-When you do things, and do a good job, be sure to take a good, long bow.

There were a few other things that he said that unfortunately can't remember right now, but I found myself with tears in my eyes as I listened to a man that I respect so immensely speak.

Friday night, we went to Ken and David's house for a BBQ. They had never met Hazen, and I wanted them to meet my greatest work. While we were there, I was so happy to be with people that I love so much. Ken pushed me SO HARD while I was in High School, but he saw the potential that I possessed, and he wouldn't let me rest until I achieved it. There were many tears that I shed because of him, but at the end of the day, the influence that he had on me is one that even 7 years later, I still feel just as strongly as I did the days that I sat in his classroom. He has shown me the importance of finding something that is important to you, and doing it. He illustrates what can happen when you find a job that you love, and that makes your life better. It reminded me WHY I work so hard at school. One day, being a NICU nurse is what is going to enrich my days, and I'm so grateful to have such a wonderful example of that in my life.

I am so grateful to have both Ken and David in my life. They are such wonderful men that I love dearly. I hope that everyone is as lucky as I've been to have such an incredible role-model in my intrinsic growing up years.

3 comments:

Ashley Clark said...

#1 I am so sad I missed this special event.
#2 I love Abrams and Dave. These pictures of all of you are adorable and remind me of very happy times.

miriam said...

Oh my gosh! I love Mr. Abrams! You are right, he is such a awesome teacher and has really been an influence on my life as well.

Anonymous said...

OK. Anne, Jason and Hazen are just about the best people anyone could know. It's an honor to be THEIR friends. Love, K&D.