Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Faith in Human-kind

You know when you have those people that touch your lives and you are so DEEPLY affected by them that sometimes it's hard not to cry when you think about their kindness? This is how I feel about my friend Nate Tighe, and his wonderful, kind parents, Tom and Peggy.

This past week has been a rough one. With the inversion affecting Hazen so horribly, we were blessed by our friend's, Josh and Kirsten, and their generosity in giving Hazen and I a buddy pass so we could get him to some fresh air- in California. Upon our arrival, Hazen's respiratory health improved, however, he had an ear infection, the likes of which I've never seen. My sister-in-law, Janet and I were honestly besides ourselves. I had no clue what to do, and I felt so hopeless! I took my baby away from his home because the environment was making him so ill, only to do something (possibly flying), that caused him extreme pain. I called my friend, Nate, who's dad is an ER Doctor, and he instructed me that I was to take Hazen to his parents house first thing the next morning.

Now, you need to understand something about the Tighes. They are some of the best people that walk this earth. They give selflessly to others around them, have raised a wonderful son, and treat me as if I was family- when they simply didn't have to. Each year, they go to India, and work in an orphanage- imparting their love and wisdom to all they come in contact with. When Nate and I graduated HS, they threw us a joint graduation party, complete with friends and family galore. The world truly is a sweeter, better place people people like the Tighes walk it.

Tom gave Hazen a full check up, complete with a breathing treatment. Peggy entertained him, and Hazen loved all of the attention he was given from both parties. The diagnosis? Double ear infection, and tons of residual crap in his lungs from the inversion. Tom called in the prescription while Peggy, Hazen and I played on the floor of their cozy, inviting home. The whole time, I couldn't help but hold Hazen, kiss him, and whisper in his ear how lucky we are to have such wonderful people in our lives that love us so much. So lucky for Kirsten and Josh for giving us tickets, so lucky to Jason's family for helping a "single mom" out, and so so lucky to the Tighe family for being JUST as concerned about the health of my sweet baby as his own mother was.

With a sad heart, we said our goodbyes, but I repeated to each of them over and over again of the love that my little family has for theirs. Truly, the highlights of my time in California are the moments I spend with Tom, Peggy and Nate (and Ashley...when they're around!!) How refreshing it is to be treated like one of the family when so many things about your background might be different. While I stood in Longs, having received yet another symbol of their love and generosity, I broke down crying, just so overwhelmed at the love that had been shown me that day. In fact, it took me nearly 4 hours to be able to call them to thank them without crying!! Once again, I whispered in Hazen's ear how lucky he was, and uttered a silent prayer that such wonderful people might remain in his life always.

8 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

What kind kind people. I am sorry for the double ear infection. We have been there and that sucks! I hope the medicine helps. I read that the air was much better in Utah because of the snow.

Josh and Kirsten are great. Does Josh work for Jet Blue? I know he was working for them back east, I assume they are working locally now.

Ali said...

What a touching experience. Thanks for sharing.

It's too bad that Hazen wasn't feeling well, but so amazing to see the angels we have in our lives during those moments of adversity.

Amanda Fetters said...

That is just so wonderful. It's good to know that there are such caring and generous people on the planet - I want to be like Nate's parents when I grow up. :)

Kirsten Krason said...

That whole experience is so scary!! You are so brave. I am glad you had people out there to take care of you and your boy!

heidiram said...

Wow! I didn't know Nate was back in the Bay Area. I hope Hazen starts feeling better!

Josh said...

I hope Hazen gets better soon. The inversion is gone now thank goodness. We'll have to hang again soon. Hey Maren. I work for Skywest.

queenieweenie said...

I'm so glad you were in a place where people were there to help you. Sick kids are the WORST!

Mandi said...

that was a really sweet tribute! i hope hazen is feeling better!