Thursday, January 15, 2009

Learning to Let Go




Whenever I see pictures of babies covered from head to toe, I cringe a little bit. It doesn't NEED to be that messy. In general, if I can avoid making my kid dirty enough to necessitate a bath, then by all means, I will. So imagine how I'm dealing with that fact that, sooner or later, Hazen needs to learn how to eat with a spoon and fork. We decided to start with yogurt. While the whole process was relatively messy, the look of sheer joy and triumph on Hazen's face was enough to face the mess. Every time he would successfully navigate the spoon to his mouth, he would look at us for affirmation (which we of course gladly gave), and would smile like he just figured out the key to world peace. I would clean up 1 billion messes for him to get a few of those smiles. (And kisses, too, because those, my friends, are amazing!)

Can someone send him a memo in his dreams to stop growing up? I vowed to listen to the council of the Prophet in the last conference and stop "wishing away my todays", and let me tell you, I'm starting to wish those tomorrows would never come, because what I have, well....it's precious.

6 comments:

Amanda Fetters said...

Oh jeez. I have been dreading this moment with Lizzy - but like you said, they just get so stoked when they make contact that it's actually worth the mess. There was an article in the Ensign a while ago that really stuck with me...she was talking about how keeping your house clean is not more important than creating happy childhood memories. So way to go, Anne!

Nortorious said...

Yeah, I'm a mean mama who won't let Mimi eat yogurt unless she's taking a bath the very next thing. Do what you can to keep your sanity.

Sarah said...

Way to go Hazen, work that spoon!! He is getting so big, I can't believe it. I'm one of "those" moms... I'll strip Logan down to his diaper and let him go to town. We have done it with rice cereal and bananas so far. I figure it lets him explore his food, it entertains him, and it's a good tactile activity. Plus... he always needs a bath anyways! Maybe this will all change when he realizes he can launch his food from his highchair!

Unknown said...

I feel the same way. I should just give up and embrace the mess.
Thanks for reminding me!

WAY TO GO Hazen!

Ashley Clark said...

What an adorable post and adorable kid. I feel like I understand what you mean and I'm not even a mom!

Kirsten Krason said...

He looks so happy!