Thursday, January 22, 2009

Suck It, Inversion

The Inversion in Utah County must be like some people view pregnancy. They forget about it; which is why some people have so many babies. I SWEAR it wasn't this bad last year, but I've had a few people disagree. Heaven help me, I'm taking a vacation during the inversion next year. For those of you who don't know what it is that us Utahns are constantly complaining of, we're experiencing an Inversion, where a layer of air that is warmer (I think) than the layer of air that is on the ground has moved over the cooler air, thus trapping it. The biggest consequence of said inversion is the air quality. Right now, we have the worst air quality in the entire nation. Not only is it the worst quality of air, but it's the worst type of pollutants. Not even coughing can expel these pollutants from your lungs. Running a mile outside is as bad for you as if you had smoked 3 packs of cigarrettes. Based on many maps I've seen of air quality, Utah is the only state in the US to have Red Marks on their air quality. This is exponentially worse than in LA and New York. Can you believe it?

Now, about 99% of the time, it's easy to forget that we have a Preemie that lives in our house. For the most part, I'm so ready to get rid of that label, and move on with our daily lives. We do, you know. Except for times like these. Unfortunately, I can't just forget that we have a little boy who struggles to breathe in this air more than any of us can probably imagine. Coughs are racking his poor body, and he hasn't eaten a substantial meal in days. The poor little baby hardly sleeps, because every time he drifts into a deep slumber, he's immediately woken up by fits of coughing. I can't explain how badly I feel for him. In good news, we have a Nebulizer, which is working "wonders". I can only say "wonders", because the best thing for my little buddy would be either an escape from this state for a while, or a BIG winter storm. So, friends, say some prayers that Mother Nature brings in a big one for my little buddy!

10 comments:

Amanda Fetters said...

Ohhh that is so sad! I hope it clears up soon, just for Hazen...

Megan and Jonny said...

Ugh. Inversion is terrible, especially for those of us with breathing problems. Any chance you can take Hazen on vacation for a bit? And yes, I'm totally offering my basement should you decide to head out East. :)

Maren and Blake said...

I hated the inversion. I am glad to live in an inversion free zone. Don't you just long for summer, warmth and clean air?

Ali said...

I liked the pregnancy/inversion analogy - that is spot on!

I forgot about it... I suppose that shall be my reason today to have a good attitude about living far away. I was stunned by those stats, but totally believe you!

I hope a storm is in the works for the sake of your sweet baby

queenieweenie said...

oof...I don't miss that at all!

that stinks that your poor little stinker can't breathe. I swear that's the hardest part of being a mommy-when they don't feel good!

Linsey said...

Poor guy. Send him here. We don't have food, or running water much of the time, but we have clear blue skies and spectacular air quality every day.

Juliann said...

You are sooooo darn cute and I miss you tons. I just ran across your blog. You told me to get a blog last year and I finally got around to it. Sorry I haven't shared it with everyone. I'm slow. Anyway-you're awesome and I'm glad I found ya!

Nortorious said...

I do believe they're called Utards.

Kirsten Krason said...

Try being pregnant while in an inversion. Plus a cold. Glad you could get away!! Hope you make it back!

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.