Sunday, October 5, 2008

General Conference


I won't lie. Watching Conference with a 1 year old alone while your husband works is hard. I missed a lot, and am looking forward to the Ensign coming out so I can actually read the talks over again. HOWEVER, the starts aligned, heaven intervened, and I was able to watch ALL of President Monson's talk. Uninterrupted.

To sum it up, he spent the first main chunk of his talk speaking about wishing away our todays. He spoke directly to those of us still in the process of raising their children (hey, that's me!!). He spoke extensively on how when we spend our time waiting for tomorrow, we end up with a lot of empty yesterdays. All too soon the eternally dirty kitchen floor, piles of laundry, sticky surfaces everywhere disappear; with that, taking my baby.

Since this is my journal, I'm rededicating myself to my family. No more "I will...when...." If I want to do it, it gets done. Now. This not only applies to spending good, quality time with the two people I love most in the planet, but also in self-improvement. When I get caught up in waiting until tomorrow to do something, be something, achieve something, not only do I hinder myself by giving me with empty, unfulfilled yesterdays, but I cheated my family out of enriched todays.

I think this goes hand in hand with the call we've been given to fortify our homes. What's one of the most important things we can be? Grateful. What better way to show our gratitude than make the most of the time we have.

Thanks, Pres. Monson. You've given me a lot to think about.

4 comments:

Paige said...

Amen! Watching Conference was so hard on Saturday because I was by myself with the 2 kids. It still wasn't much easier on Sunday but thanks to On Demand Conference sessions & DVR I will be caught up just in time to read them again next month - which I usually like better anyway. Way to go getting so much out of President Monson, Lorin kept elbowing me, telling me to be happy "today," & stop waiting for something to make me happy tomorrow. Definitely a good thing to work on for me!

Unknown said...

I LOVED this talk too! Thanks

Grandma Turtle said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed that talk because I did, too. I bawled because my kids DID grow up, and they DID leave home, and the piles of laundry went with them, and I miss their hugs every day. But lucky for me, they bring their Little People over to my house and let them leave little fingerprints around for me to enjoy. :) I don't wipe them off for a long while, either. I savor them.

Papa Nacho said...

Audrey

Nice application of the principles taught by President Monson. I could not agree more with your decision to strengthen your own home ... NOW ( and love every minute of it). I know you will.

Speaking of love ... I love you.

Frankie