Friday, October 3, 2008

Canning!




On Monday, Aubrey and I were at the mall when we received a phone call from Heather telling us that the Lindon Cannery was giving away palate after palate of peaches. She told us to get there immediately, which we did. We showed up and were greeted with mass chaos. It was if there was a mass casualty situation that had occurred, and the only thing that was left was peaches. Women were pushing, throwing elbows, glaring JUST to make sure they got the perfect peach.

Aubrey and I filled up our car with more than 200 lbs of peaches, and got ready to begin. Begin we did. We made peach salsa, freezer jam, cooked jam, pie filling, and barbecue sauce until peaches were coming out of our ears.


At first, the boys were just on hand for busy work such as dishes. We've decided that in order to REALLY can in my kitchen, we need one more sink, another 8 stovetops, and about 20 more feet of counter space. Sometimes there just wasn't room to even do dishes. I was teased mercilessly when I asked my Jason to go wash dishes in the shower. For the record: he didn't.

Aubrey and I sure took a lot on, and we were grateful to our husbands for putting up with our antics. We're looking forward to next year when we are able to can more than just peaches!!

6 comments:

Gabriella said...

Holy Cow that's a lot of stuff! I'm so impressed good for you guys. Do you want to come to my house and help me can?

Grandma Turtle said...

Your bottled foods will taste so yummy on a cold winter day. :) I proud of you for canning. It's hard work.

Linsey said...

over and over I am singing "millions of peaches, peaches for me..."

weeze or Alissa said...

Double Hot DOG!!!! I love the canning-ness you all are displaying! And for the record, call me up if they are ever giving stuff away like that. Super!
ps Happy Dappy Birthday CUZ

Cheryl & Kyle said...

i wouldn't know the first thing about canning. to me it invovles taking a can on one hand, a can opener in the other and then spooning peaches into my mouth with a vengence.

Marc and Lori Johnson said...

Holy Cow that is a lot of canning! How long did all of that take you? Good work! I am very impressed!