Thursday, October 6, 2011

Jacob's Cove





One week's spoils- Kale, Swiss Chard, Brocollini, Napa Cabbage, Regular
Cabbage, Cucumbers, Zucchini, Squash, Beets, Grape Heirloom
Tomatoes, and Regular Heirloom Tomatoes. Yum!

Let me let you in on a little secret that has seriously changed my life. Now, I hate to sound dramatic, but honestly, after nearly 26 years of feeling like I've constantly been fighting with my weight, BAM, this secret has revolutionized how I see food.

For as long as I remember, food has been both a comfort and an enemy. Something that I loved so dearly, but something that I hated, because I viewed it as the thing that kept me from meeting and achieving my goals. If I wanted to lose weight, then food was this forbidden treat that I was only allowed to eat so much of each day. Every different diet that I would try meant that there was some food group, be it dairy, carbs, or meat that I just wasn't allowed to eat. I had to be careful about how much fruit I would eat, because, you know, fruit has a lot of sugar. Low carbs, low fat, low calories.....little results.

Until now. At the end of May, we decided to join a CSA in the area, Jacob's Cove. We had set aside some of our tax refund, and decided to make the jump into what, at the time, seemed like a somewhat costly endeavor. Beforehand, we paid $460 for 13 weeks worth of 2 shares of this CSA. This means, that for about $35/week, I get roughly 14 lbs of veggies and fruits that had been picked THAT MORNING. Oh, did I mention that not only are they picked that morning, but they are grown only 5 miles away from our house? The produce that we get is the highest quality produce I think I've ever eaten. It's seriously amazing. It makes me so happy and energized to be eating such incredible food!

So, now to the weight loss/diet part. Since the end of May, I've lost 30 lbs. Yes, internets, I've come out and admitted the exact number. People keep on asking me what I've been doing, and honestly, the answer is Jacob's Cove. Since we've started our CSA, I've pretty much tried to obliterate highly processed foods from my diet. Do I still eat sugar? Sure! As long as it's homemade. Do I worry about fats in food? Nope, as long as it's a high quality and not a processed trans-fat. I don't eat as much meat as I used to, and I completely don't miss it, but I'm still eating cheese. Straight up dairy kind of makes me sick now, so the days of enjoying a glass or two of chocolate milk now and again are pretty much gone.

I never thought that I'd be one of those weird people who believed strongly in the whole "local-ganic" movement, but I am! I love everything about Jacob's Cove and their incredible produce. Did you know it's possible to almost shed tears over Heirloom Tomatoes? You can.

So, the before. Keep in mind, I was working out as frequently as I do now at this time, so increase in exercise is not the main reason that I've lost so much weight. What's funny, is I didn't really feel BAD at this point of time, but I definitely didn't feel as great as I do now!!
And, the after. I apparently don't really have any normal pictures taken of me lately, so you might have to use your imaginat



3 comments:

Amanda Fetters said...

you. go. girl. that is so rad - way to go!

miriam said...

you look really good. and buff. I want to join a CSA now.

Anonymous said...

You look great!