Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Dirty Dash












So, a few months ago, I was apparently smoking crack, because I decided that I wanted to do a 10k through the mud. Oh yeah, running up a mountain. Jason and I signed up to run in the Dirty Dash, which was Utah's first mud run. There were about 7 teams of 5 people from Crossfit that were running it too, which made for quite the adventure! I had never run 6 miles at one time, let alone do it in the mud at 6,000 ft. It was a challenge to say the least! We ran it the weekend after graduation, so there was definitely a lot going on in our lives at the time!


My team was composed of Brenda, my sister in law, Lina and Heather, two sisters from the gym (who are AWESOME!), and Jenn from the gym, who has become a really close friends. I must say, I had such amazing teammates, because the race got off to a rough start for me. I've been having some problems with my lower back cramping up, and starting off running straight up a mountain really made the spasms bad! One of the interesting things about this race was that there were obstacles spread roughly every mile. Some of these obstacles included running and jumping over haybales, jumping over walls in mud pits, a gigantic slip and slide, and slopping through a marsh that smelled like rotting fish. It was by far one of the most unique things I've ever done! At about mile 4, I fell in a hole, and really hurt my foot, and I'm still having a hard time with that, but I'm glad that I was able to finish.

I've heard that there will be another race in May that will only be a 5k, which I will definitely sign up to do. The 10k was a little much for this non-runner, but it was an adventure, to say the least!





2 comments:

Cheryl & Kyle said...

I love mud runs! Kyle and I do the Camp Pendleton one down in Oceanside.

John said...

Awesome!

John at The Dirty Dash