Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Please don't let this post get me kicked out of school.....




So, I didn't feel great about attempting an IV for the first time on a patient in the hospital, so Brown Jason was a peach, and let me try on him! Let me preface this post by stating I KNOW that I should have had gloves, and that I would never go glove free in any other setting. I guess I was just comfortable sharing any mysterious diseases that Jason has, like the Hep or AIDS.

Jason may have garden hoses for veins, but it was still fun to have my first attempt at an IV be a successful one!








6 comments:

Amanda Fetters said...

Way to go! Now you'll knock everyone out at school with your smooth IV know-how. I think I must have small veins or something, because when I was in labor with Lizzy, it took the nurse AND my midwife like 4 years to get an IV in my arm. I wasn't looking, but I could feel blood gushing everywhere. It was awesome.

Randi said...

Good job! I'm really scared for this too. I've heard so many horror stories, you're lucky to have a friend to practice on :)

Tiffany said...

Anne, he's a real friend cuz that looks like an 18 gauge! Good job girl.

I'm a nurse too. Went to school at the U of U. They didn't let us practice on each other at school (liability issues, but they'd let our first stick be an unwitting patient during clinicals). Go figure. We had a firefighter in our class and we went to his firehouse, donated some $$ and practiced there. It was a blood fest.

By the way... I'm coming out of my lurking closet. I'm Nolene and Darrell Reynolds' daughter. You were born after all of our family vacations together were done. I love the Hazens! Love your blog too!

Nice to have the first stick over isn't it?

miriam said...

I love the blood gush all over the dining table- yum! I had a roommate who was studying to be a phlebotomist, but I refused to let her practice on me. You did good.

Dani said...

wow, he was brave.

Papa Nacho said...

Anne

I'm not sure it worked properly. As I recall, Jason's color doesn't look that good. He used to be very fair skinned and now look at him!

Thanks for the warning though so I don't just drop by and visit some time. I'll wait until the novelty wears off.

Padre

PS I'm not a candidate for catheters either!