Saturday, September 15, 2007

Dr. Dr. Give me the News!!!


Note* This is a picture of MD the doctor, not HAL. The MD is doing his best impression of HAL...zzzzzz.

Aunt Anne called to give her updates and wishes to thank all who have been thinking and praying about her family. She is rapidly losing her patience with her situation and finds comfort in her well-wishers.

Yesterday she goes to visit HAL as per usual and the nurse, let's call her....POO-isa (it was Louisa) is assigned to the case. Aunt Anne makes nicey-nice talk then asks if she can hold HER baby. Poo-isa says...

No.


Aunt Anne was all, WHAT?! Poo-isa says its her job to be an advocate for the baby and its not in his best interest to have Anne "disturb" him while he is asleep. Hello!! The child sleeps a good 23.8 hours a day. Poo-isa says "we want you to be involved in his care so you can change his diaper. Or check temperatures."

Nurse Poo-isa picked a very bad mama to irritate. Nuff said.

Aunt Anne reports that HAL has peed out 8 oz. of extra fluid. Let's put this in perspective. When was the last time you peed out 20 lbs in a day?

HAL has been placed on the high-flow cannula and is tolerating it quite well.

Anne has met with an Occupational Therapist who has shown some concern with HAL's not liking to be touched issues (can you blame the kid? Everytime he's touched its to poke him, or stick him, or move him or whatever else Poo-isa is doing). The OT is going to work with Anne to teach some infant massaage to show HAL that touch is good.

(Sarah and Mitch, interesting question...the doctor "felt" something was not quite right because HAL doesn't breathe on his own. So its a little bit of both. Good question.)

I wish I had some pictures but rest assured as soon as HAL loses the C-PAP, the whole site will be filled with his pictures.

Until Then...

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Please go ABOVE that nurse, to a head nurse, or doctor... or someone higher up than her! There are VOLUMES of research on how amazing gentle touch is to all people, and especially to sick and/or premature babies. I know you know this. It horrifies me that she point blank said NO. If you would like an advocate to call for you, just ask, I will happily see what I can find out. No wonder he doesn't like to be touched! If nobody lets you, how could he know that was a good thing?

Oy.

Thank you for answering my question also. It's good that a doctor is willing to follow his intuition, rather than just follow written facts. I am glad he wanted to find out more!

I hope you are all doing well! Mr. Max is totally adorable too! How lucky for 2 cousins to grow up so close in age!!

I can't wait to read about your knockdown brawl with that horrific nurse. I would say "No, actually YOU can't hold him, because you officially know nothing about nurturing an infant, and that is the most important thing of all! So NO BABY FOR YOU dumb nurse!"

Marisa said...

max, i am so glad you are such a smart babe and can keep us all updated on hal's condition.

Doug Clark said...

I promise to never be a poo-shley when I'm a nurse. Poo-shleys and poo-isas should only be allowed to say things like that to their patients when their patients are being dumb. And you're not. You want to hold your baby and there's nothing wrong with that.

One time Ger tried to teach me how to massage Cameron's lower back so he would "poop all the way." I asked her when I would know when he was done pooping and she said his poop would turn green. I ran away crying.

Ashley Clark said...

The above comment was written by Ashley and not Doug Clark. I'm still trying to get him into the whole thing. And once he does start reading blogs, I will be delighted when he comments. :)

Celia Fae said...

So who is supposed to be Anne's advocate if that nurse is HAL's advocate? I hope Anne got all Momma Bear on her.

AnnEE said...

You better believe I did! I said, "Advocate THIS Bi-otch." Ok, I didn't really say that, but I gave her some nasty attitude, and then talked smack about her all day. Same thing, right?? I'll call Heather with the full update for today and yesterday...teaser...IT'S A GOOD ONE!!!

Amanda Fetters said...

He is looking so good!! Yay HAL...

Sarah said...

I am anxiously awaiting the fun update, little Doctor... wake up from your nap and post!