Monday, May 2, 2011

Our California Vacation: Part One






With school being DONE, we decided to do something that we had not done yet for our entire married life since having a kid: Go on a vacation! How refreshing it is to actually have an income to pay for aforementioned vacation! We might have a ridiculous amount of student loans to pay for, but we figured, hey, let's go on this trip before buckling down with work. We scheduled to go from April 28-May 8. Yes, that's a freakishly long time to be on vacation, but it was fun. Oh, did I mention that we drove? Blurgh.

April 28- I had ICU class, and Jason worked, but we wanted to leave that night and drive as far across Nevada as we could that night. He also had an interview with Sandy fire that night, so we didn't get to leave until 9:30 pm. We were both feeling super awake and alert, so we weren't too worried about getting tired. We got out of SLC, and as we were driving, I noticed that the wind was picking up. By the time that we were about 50 miles out of Wendover, the wind was blowing so hard that I was using serious muscles to keep the car from flying off of the road. We had the music turned up full blast, and we still couldn't hear it. Jason would basically scream at me to try to tell me things, but we couldn't hear a thing. Needless to say, by the time that we got to Wells, NV, we were OVER it, and decided to pull off. The impending blizzard didn't really help things. I called to see if we could get a room at a certain motel, and we were TURNED AWAY because they didn't want Hazen to sleep there. After a few choice words were shared, we found a comfort inn, and turned in for the night.

April 29- Today was the best day of my life. And by best day, I mean, "Please, for the love of all that's holy, never make me drive 10 hours through the dessert with a 3 year old". Today we drove. Hazen cried. I cried. It was ugly. Then we got to Livermore, and life was better. I don't particularly want to remember the details of the ugly.

April 30- We got up refreshed and ready for a good workout after eating McDonalds in the car the day before. Jason and I looked up the nearest Crossfit, which just so happened to be a few blocks away from his parents house. We went and had a KILLER workout, which left us pumped for the rest of the day. I decided that I needed to make a little trip to Danville, so we piled into the car along with Jason's sisters and parents, and headed over to Domenico's. It did not disappoint! After, we walked around downtown Danville for a little, then Jason, Hazen and I headed over to the Shembri's to see our old neighbors, and also to see the old house. That night, we all went to dinner at Tomatina's, thus continuing to round out the delicious food tour of the Bay Area.

May 1- We forgot church clothes, which was a major oversight on our part. I guess that's what happens when you do all of your packing for your trip only hours before you leave for vacation. Jason put on one of his Dad's suits, along with sneakers to wear to church, Hazen wore shorts, and I stayed home, because I was NOT about to wear jeans to church. Yes, my pride goes that far. After the boys got home, we decided to take a drive to Oakland to go see the temple. It was such a beautiful day, we really lucked out! No temple trip is complete without a stop to Fenton's so, we grabbed some ice cream on our way home. Delicious, as per usual. I can't remember the last time that I've been to Fenton's; it's probably been at least 4 years, so it was good to go back! After we returned to Livermore, Jason's brother Brian and his family came over, and we BBQ'd. That evening, I also drove to San Ramon to go see Marisa and meet her little girl, Fara. Great times were had by all!

















0 comments: