Saturday, March 14, 2009

One of those days

Do you ever have a day that starts wrong, doesn't get any better, and by the time that you can pour yourself into bed at the end of the night, you're laughing, because it honestly has to be a joke how bad it was?

Meet Tuesday.

I jolt awake. The time on my cell phone reads 8:57 am. My class starts at 9 am. I exclaim a few choice words, and then race out of bed. On my way to the bathroom, I look outside, only to see that it snowed the night before, promising great road conditions. I brush my teeth while I go to the bathroom (TMI?), put some deodorant on real quick, and throw my scrubs on. I'm out the door with a few texts sent to classmates letting them know that I'm on my way, and to save me a seat. It's 9:04 am. I run to the car as quickly as I can, nearly slipping on the thin layer of ice everywhere I look. I live about 1/2 mile away from the freeway. It normally takes me no longer than a minute to get there. Not Tuesday. Tuesday, there were 4 accidents between our condo and the freeway. Tuesday, the clock reads 9:21 am, and I'm still not at the freeway yet.

Eventually I get there. I merge onto the freeway carefully, ensuring that there is proper traction between my car and the road to drive safely to school. Text message received from classmates, "Don't worry, we have a seat saved". Calls have been placed to the school to let them know that I'm on my way. The day will get better- just a rough start, right?

9:26. I see a cop behind me, utter another few choice words, and get pulled over no more than 6 seconds later. Registration expired. February 2009. The date? March 10. I sent my tags into the DMV weeks prior. (Still haven't gotten them yet, btw). The officer comes to my window. I preempt him, informing him that I renewed already, but I'm just waiting for the tags to come. He asks for my license, insurance, and registration. Remember how fast I had to leave home? I immediately burst into tears, as my purse is sitting on my kitchen table at home. With my license in it. And my insurance card. And my registration is expired. And I'm over 30 minutes late for class. Awesome.

Homeboy gives me a ticket. I laugh, because I've been awake for less than an hour, and I've already had my backside handed to me in the form of Karma.


Me with my ticket. Taken days later, because, remember? I didn't shower. Awesome.

I get to school, an hour late. I suffer through the lecture, at the hands of our new Lifespan teacher, who is quite possibly the most dull teacher I've ever had in my life. I know the book better than he does. After school, the next thing on the list? The dentist. It's been a while since I've been to the dentist, but I wasn't worried, because I'm cavity free, and I'm experiencing absolutely no pain. Jokes on me. 3 cavities and an order for a deep cleaning later, I'm on my way home, and it's only noon.


The order for dental work. Estimated cost before insurance? $946


The day didn't especially improve from thereon out. I guess it didn't get any worse after that though. It was one of those days that I should have looked at the clock, realized I get one absence a semester per class, and taken it. I suppose we all deserve crappy days now and again- I just hope that used my quota for the next few months!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Sorry you had a crappy day... I'm glad you can laugh about it at least. I wanted to comment to let you know you should get a second opinion on your dental needs, unless you REALLY trust your dentist. I have been hearing a lot lately about them calling "stains" cavities, and doing this in order to bring in extra money. (People not having jobs= no insurance= people just don't go.) Anyways, we have been there. I am glad that you: didn't drop your toothbrush into the toilet, didn't slip on the ice, weren't in one of those accidents, and don't need dentures. Silver lining, right?

Grandma Turtle said...

Thanks for sharing your tornado day with me. It made my problems shrink back into perspective. Nice we get a nice new day in a few hours, huh?

Maren and Blake said...

What a crappy day, I am so sorry. I do think that you get the ticket waved with proof of insurance, license, and registration. That's good because you probably won't have to pay for it.

Still this is a day I hope never to live.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh those pictures of you holding up your ticket and bill are HILARIOUS. The look on your face is legendary. Sorry about the bad day, but at least you got to sleep in until almost 9 am! (I know, it still doesn't help.)

Emily said...

That seriously sounds like the worst day. At least you are able to laugh about it!!

weeze or Alissa said...

Hey, been there.

How's the schooling going? I'm gonna start at SLCC in the Fall for the Surgical Tech. program. It sound like your into yours.

Hope things are going good for you and the family, and mom and dad. Don't hear much from ya, but I don't wanna bug. Does that sound snippy? Hope not. Just got to talk with Shannan when she was here. She called us (April and Me) and we headed up to Janies. She is so into gardening so be on the lookout for a tip of the week on our blog.
Anyway, the let's do lunch thing isn't really gonna happen I think, so I'll just keep reading up on what's happening.

Tracy said...

Hi! I found your blog in a really round about way. My friend blogged about circumsission (spelling???), this crazy loon commented saying people who beleive in circumsission are child molestors and that made me want to check out their blog. Are you still folowing? I found your comment on that person's blog and was hysterical. Too funny! Sorry about your rough day and BTW I'm starting nursing school next spring so it was great to read how excited you were about starting!

Josh said...

The worst part of that day to me is the dentist. I hate the dentist. Satan hires all dentists. The pain, the bills, and the sounds are all from his layer. I would rather sit in a pit of poop all day that go to the dentist. Bad day.

Brandi Lyn said...

wow. i've REALLY missed your blog. You are hilarious. I am SO sorry that freaking tuesday happened. I can't believe that jerk gave you a ticket!! I woulda booked it. lol.