Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sorry Barack, Ya Just Lost Me


Barack Obama on the Primary
Originally uploaded by jurvetson
So. The decision has been made. While I'm not crazy AT ALL about the Republican Candidates, I've been doing some research today, and I found a deal breaker.

Barack Obama AND Hilary Clinton both do not support the ban on Partial Birth Abortions. I can not, and WILL NOT support people who are not vehemently against this evil practice.

Partial Birth Abortion, is described below by Wikipedia:

Usually, preliminary procedures are performed over a period of two to three days, to gradually dilate the cervix using laminaria tents (sticks of seaweed which absorb fluid and swell). Sometimes drugs such as synthetic pitocin are used to induce labor. Once the cervix is sufficiently dilated, the doctor uses an ultrasound and forceps to grasp the fetus' leg. The fetus is turned to a breech position, if necessary, and the doctor pulls one or both legs out of the birth canal, causing what is referred to by some people as the 'partial birth' of the fetus. The doctor subsequently extracts the rest of the fetus, usually without the aid of forceps, leaving only the head still inside the birth canal. An incision is made at the base of the skull, scissors are inserted into the incision and opened to widen the opening[9], and then a suction catheter is inserted into the opening. The brain is suctioned out, which causes the skull to collapse and allows the fetus to pass more easily through the birth canal. The placenta is removed and the uterine wall is vacuum aspirated using a suction curette.

This is so wrong and so evil on so many accounts. I cried as a read an account from a nurse who was present for one such abortion:

Brenda Pratt Shafer, a registered nurse from Dayton, Ohio, assisted Dr. Haskell in a Partial Birth Abortion on a 26-1/2 week (over 6 months) pre-born baby boy. She testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee (on 11/17/95) about what she witnessed. According to nurse Shafer, the baby was alive and moving as the abortionist “delivered the baby’s body and arms - everything but the head. The doctor kept the baby’s head just inside the uterus. The baby’s little fingers were clasping and unclasping, his feet were kicking. Then the doctor stuck the scissors through the back of his head, and the baby’s arms jerked out in a flinch, a startle reaction, like a baby does when he thinks he might fall. The doctor opened up the scissors, stuck a high-powered suction tube into the opening and sucked the baby’s brains out. Now the baby was completely limp.”

This abortion is used for babies who are over 16 weeks gestation, traditionally between 20-24 weeks. As someone who was pregnant not TOO long ago, I can tell you that at that point, you have a BABY inside of you. A baby who moves, kicks, gets the hiccups, and is preparing for a life outside in the world.

Call me harsh, but anyone who supports this horrible, evil practice, has a bit of evil in them. Shame on you, Barack. Shame on you.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

But remember this - not every 2nd trimester abortion is because the person didn't want the baby. It also includes procedures done if the baby died in utero, if the baby has a fatal birth defect, etc. I wasn't going to comment on this, but for some reason I felt compelled. You understand.

Ashley Clark said...

I'm seriously crying over here. I had no idea this is what this procedure did. If there were a word more evil and evil, I would use it here.

By the way, I was in class today when you called and then my phone died. It is charging right now and I'll either give you a call tonight or tomorrow.

Heather said...

Well I am basing my vote totally on this encounter here. Like McLame could move like that.

Kirsten Krason said...

Go Anne!!! Yes! Good job. I'm so glad you did research on the subject. People don't really actually realize what they are voting for when they vote for someone. Your vote is not just for a "cool" person but it is a vote for all the decisions they'll be making. Obama stands for a lot of things I don't agree with. Maybe he's a nice guy but so what!! So McCain then?

paige said...

While Barack never had me - no one really has. I agree with you on the fact that there are no stellar candidates for the presidency, not that I am any more knowledgeable on politics than Miss Polly. I could hardly believe what I was reading just now! I realize, as Shannan said that sometimes these things happen for reasons behind the scenes that we don't understand. Unfortunately, not always the case. It's good to hear that it doesn't always happen for selfish reasons. Thanks for the post though. I wold never be brave enough to research something like that.

Unknown said...

Annie,
I found your blog from Heidi's which I found through Paige's. Funny how small the blogging world is. I read all about your sweet baby. He is so cute. We've had 2 preemies and I can totally relate to all the craziness that goes with it. I'm glad things are going well. You have a darling family!

Unknown said...

What I do know is that the reason he hasn't voted against it is because he believes there needs to be an option for mothers who's lives are in danger if the pregnancy continues.

There's a site that goes into further detail, but I don't like to put politics into friendships. I guess the way I see it is that people are going to the do horrible, evil things anyways, and at least finding ways to limit it and control it (by making it medically possible) keeps women from finding a way to do it themselves. Which was the problem to begin with.

What I don't get is why stupid women, with and without medical restrictions, GET pregnant in the first place! It's not like it isn't preventable... It breaks my heart to know that so many women do this, and I wonder where their heart even is.

Fact:Bears eat beets said...

Ron Paul-08

AnnEE said...

Love is where it's at, right Rob?

I'll bring you a bumper sticker when I'm there in a week.

Just so everyone knows, I do know that these types of abortions aren't just done for women who didn't want the baby. I also know Obama doesn't support it because he doesn't want Roe vs. Wade to be infringed upon, but I'm still so very very very against this practice. We're all friends, though, right?

Ali said...

Anne,
This post made me physically ill. In other news, I got your messages but am a huge loser without minutes! What city are you two thinking about getting together for lunch in? That will be a factor for me considering that going to the local grocery store wears me out (maybe that's just my illness talking - I could feel differently by Wednesday)... Let me know, I'd love to meet Paige, see you and obviously, HAL.

Jessica said...

Hey...why is it that people with left-leanings are given more leeway to express there political opinions then right-leaning people? Good for you.

Barack seems like a truly good individual, but I cannot vote for someone that will vote for things that I don't agree with...such a quandry...

Audry said...

HI, I am a friend of Celia and Denae, I am in tears and can't help it. How awful. I agree 100%

Nortorious said...

I'm with Heather. Man's got moves. Shannan is right, this type of abortion is not always voluntary. But it is indeed sick and archane. Thanks for the nightmares.

Sarah said...

Of course we are still friends! And I am also very 100% against the "practice" which is a polite name for what it really is. And I wish nobody supported it, moreso now than ever.

Amanda Fetters said...

I know it. That should never be legal...talk about barbarism. I have to wonder, though, whether Obama is just pandering to the more extreme left wing...and whether he will change his tune if he wins the nomination.

Jenibelle said...

This just makes me sad. There are many, many reasons people choose to terminate pregnancies. I have a disabled child. When I was 38 and pregnant with #5 the Dr.'s wanted to do some indepth testing on the baby. He said that if something was wrong then we could discuss my "options". I wouldn't trade my very, very handicapped Rachel for anything! She is a joy to all who know her. If I had 5 disabled children, oh well.
I too, will hold my nose as I vote this year. Sucks to have such LOUSY choices.

♥Shally said...

I found your blog through Paige's. Niether of you know me, but I wanted to thank you for posting this. It brought me to tears, and motivated me to find out more about the candidates before I vote. I don't really like McCain, but now I realize that I need to research more to find out who fits me best.

Thanks. :)

Maddy Pie said...

Hi Anne you probably don't remember me, its maddy Vonsosen you babysat me a long time ago visit my blog!

Maddy Pie said...

sorry last thing I was in the Danville 1 ward and I was a little blond blond girl!! thanks for your time check out my blog and comment!:)