Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I am annoyed.


I have had multiple conversations today with multiple people who have all called me Annelee. DO YOU KNOW HOW OBNOXIOUS THAT IS???????????????????????????????????

It is my first and last name. Not first and middle, or first and southern. First and last people. Not only does everyone ask me if my husband is Asian (no) or if it's Ann Lee (no), they ask me if I'll name my children with southern hickish names like unto Jennylee or other crap like that. (NO.)

Might I have the patience to not kick people who mispronounce my name. Alas, it has been the bane of my existence. In FACT, just on Sunday, we had to give a talk in church. I started mine by inviting everyone to open their programs and take note that while my name might be spelled Ann, please, resist the temptation, and NEVER call me that. My name is Anne. Like Annie, but much prettier looking. Then last night, at enrichment, someone picked up the microphone and invited Ann Lee to come up to the front of the room. I couldn't help it, but I found myself nearly shrieking ANNE!!!, in order to correct the offending mispronounciation of my delightful name.

Furthermore, if you know me (and if you're reading this blog, I sure as heck hope you do), you KNOW that I am no more an Ann than fly to the moon. I'm much to charasmatic, charming, delightful and fun to be a boring name such as Ann. (Sorry if any of you are named Ann, but shoot, it's my blog, my rant, and I can say what I want!!)

So, in closing. Don't call me Ann. Don't think that my new last name is my middle name. Anne Lee. The end. I know it only has 7 letters, and that throws people off sometimes, but hey, I could have married someone a LOT lamer with a less complicated last name. (Might I also note, Lee is Lee, not Li.)

Geez Louise.

7 comments:

Amanda Fetters said...

Bwahahaha!!! I have vivid memories of you in high school going on similar rants-- "SEE?! It's Ann-E!! There's an E on the end! HELLO?!?" Awww you make me smile.

Heather said...

Good point Ann. Learned my lesson

AnnEE said...

Bite me.

Unknown said...

Hey my mother-in-law is named JamaLee and she's from the south. Why do you pick on her?
Why?

Marisa said...

Babygirl, I totally get ya. It's like Marisa with one S. No matter how many pharmacists, receptionists, cashiers, or professors ask me to spell or pronounce my name (which, by the way, is NOT THAT ETHNIC), it always comes out with somewhere between 2 and 5 R's or S's (or sometimes both...) OR it is pronounced Ma-ree-sa, Ma-rise-a, Mar-see-a (dyslexic much?) or in extreme cases, just flat out Marcia. When they apologize, which is rare, I usually just say I am used to it. But every once in a while I have to vent.

Marrying into a last name like Montierth doesn't help much. MONTEEREZ? It already makes me angry that the guy who MADE UP the name didn't pronounce it right, but everyone else botches it too. I'm moving to france.

grammy said...

You can yell at your Dad & I for the spelling. We chose ANNE on purpose SO if when you got older and wanted to be called ANN(E) you could no sweat... However little chick-a-deee you will be Til and Audrey to us anyway,.,sorry ANNIE

Ali said...

I suppose Anne of Green Gables has it all wrong, then. For she pronounces her name "Ann." Not to mention the fact that my middle name is Ann and I have always felt that it was boring. One random tidbit is that when I was really little, I thought my middle name was "AND" ... Hi, I am Alison AND Mays. I am glad I got that straightend out.