Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I'm glad I'm not a hummingbird


Hummingbird "Beauty"
Originally uploaded by Alfredo11.
Why, you might ask? Because they're dumb. Really really dumb. Hummingbirds and quail are currently topping my dumbest bird list. As of this moment, we have a bird stuck in our garage. Where is my sympathy for said bird, you ask? It left about 25 minutes ago. That was after another 10 minutes of trying to get this stupid animal out. The garage door is open. The side door is open. Both windows are open. The exit couldn't be ANY clearer, and this dimwit bird won't fly out. Instead, it just is hanging out near the ceiling, fluttering away, and hitting it's dumb head over and over again on the wall. It will probably die in there. And I will feel bad. But let it be known that Anne Lee, animal rights activist TRIED to get the world's dumbest hummingbird out of her garage. Hey, trying is better than nothing!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Here is my hummingbird story.
last summer, Jackson ran upstairs and screamed "There's a giant bee in our house!!!!" WE didn't think anyuthing of it, because we often leave the sliding glass door open and stuff flies in, but we could HEAR the buzzing of the very large bee, so we can down to investigate. Lo and behold, it was a hummingbird that flew and it took a VERY long time to coax it out of the house.
I relate.

Marisa said...

hilarious. some (actually most) animals are so stupid. this is why rob and i refuse to have pets. although chauncey was pretty cute.

Emily said...

That is really funny. Birds scare me, especially dumb birds that flap their wings ridiculously fast. Why don't they just calm down and relax? I mean really.

Heather said...

I know today was my last day of seminary but I'm going to get all preachy preachy on you. Please read this: http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/menuitem.b12f9d18fae655bb69095bd3e44916a0/?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=2b8227cd3f37b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1

Heather said...

OK that link didn't really work so try this: "A sparrow in the tabernacle" in the Ensign.

AnnEE said...

Dearest Heather,
I have repented. No seriously though, I was doing everything, like singing for it outside, trying to gently coax the bird out. It was after an HOUR of kindness that I gave up and deemed it stupid. I guess an hour is my limit. Sorry Hazen.

Anonymous said...

I have to add another comment. I just spent the last two hours in Rob's parents' backyard, looking at a whole bunch of hummingbirds (they've got a few feeders set out for all kinds of wildlife because they live on a mountain), and although hummingbirds may be dumb, they are pretty amazing to watch. They are so tiny! And they are funny how they fight with each other. By the way there were some quail in the backyard too, a male quail was chasing a female quail. Do you know how hummingbirds eat? They have a big long beak that opens like regular birds, but they hardly ever use it. They have a really long tongue which they use to slurp up liquids. Crazy. Did you also know there are only 2 species of birds that have a sense of smell? Okay I'm done.