Friday, January 15, 2010

Me: Raw

There's a new influx of posting about RAW feelings,the and how blogging tends to be so bright and shiney, so let's break away from that. So, tonight is my night I suppose.

I had a really well-written post composed, but the "site-administrator" took it upon herself to delete it, so I guess this now becomes public.

For the past 2 years or so, I've been a member of a "secret, exclusive" blog. Once upon a time, essentially everyone who wanted "in" was granted such a wish, and a few posts were written. After a period of time "cuts" were made, and I got it! I was excited, and embraced the chance to share humorous, snarky commentary with women I considered my friends via blogland. As the calendar progressed, I noticed, my sisters noticed, and my husband, who didn't like the drama that tended to come from "Blogging Confidential" noticed, that the content of the blog began to be less of the uplifting, funny type, and more deep, dark, personal issues that different individuals had. I am guilty myself of sharing personal problems that were more appropriate to be kept inside the walls of my own home.

This is where the lesson I've learned comes in.

We were all grown women. We were all members of the Church, and we were all women who spent countless hours on our own personal blogs counting our blessings, and proclaiming the lessons learned in church the previous Sunday. And, it seems, we were all hypocrites. We've been warned the dangers of gossip, back-biting, and cattiness. I'm guilty, too! I've fallen victim to the trend of sarcasm, and the tendency to feel joy in being a part of something "exclusive".

Tonight, I learned, however, how it feels to be on the other side of the fence. Every single one of these women, with exception of my sisters, are members of a new "exclusive(er?) blog. A blog designed in secret, a blog meant to be hidden from us, and a blog where people can finally freely say hurtful things about me without my actually seeing them. I have not felt this way for YEARS, and I must say, I'm ashamed to think that I've ever made people feel this way.

We were all grown women. Women who are mothers, sisters, aunts, and role-models to sweet girls younger than ourselves. We were all women who would openly discourage this type of behavior to others, yet women who found sanctity in slander. This is behavior that one might expect from a group of high schoolers. This is behavior that I unfortunately dispensed to others while in High School. That Karma, huh?

There is a golden lining though, my friends. While the new blog is dedicated to "Just me and my Sistah's", I learned that there's not an amount of money that can be placed on the worth of my REAL sisters. The one who called me to let me know about this new blog. The one who had been invited to the blog, but stated she would have them take her off the blogroll as opposed to be associated with that type of behavior, and especially, oh ESPECIALLY the sister who cried with me as she saw how badly I had been hurt.

While this isn't as eloquent as the previous post I had written, I want to remember how I feel tonight, and recommit myself to doing a little bit better. And that, is raw.

20 comments:

Heather said...

I can't believe I'm still crying about this. I just feel so STUPID thinking those people liked me. Dying I hosted get togethers. What a fool I am. Hate being kicked from the popular table. So pathetic. Humilating. I'm sick about it and I can't sleep.

AnnEE said...

You know what's funny, Heath? The exact things that bother you are the crux of what bothers me. Any beef that people have with ME should in no way, shape, or form be taken out on you.

Shame on those who would hurt such an amazing as yourself. I love you, and you're my bestie. I'm grateful I have something that they will never have in their lives: You.

Heather said...

Ugh why am I so lame. No wonder I'm out and uninvited. I hate that I'm forced to assess all the friendships I made on BC and realize that they didn't even like me. I hate this. I hate blogging. I hate how this made us feel. I hate that everyone else is sleeping peacefully.

But I love you.

AnnEE said...

You're out and uninvited because you demanded to stop being a part of the crap! Not because they didn't like you. Remember? "I don't like your sister, but I hope we can still be friends, Heather!"

Plus, we have friends in real life. And everyone loves you. Can you give your kids away for a few days and sneak to Vegas in my suitcase? It would be epic.

You should come over. Jason made a turkey, but now he's at work. Oh wait, it's 2:15am.

Heather said...

Technically I don't know why I didn't get included. I never demanded or anything until I realized how ugly BC is when you are the only one not included. But I'm off now. I checked.

Heather said...

Ugh. I'm thinking you were able to fall asleep. Lucky

Amanda Fetters said...

Ouch, lady, ouch. I still love you! :)

miriam said...

Why would they not want your honest, funny, REAL comments on their blog? Sounds like they could use more of that. They seem like losers. Especially creating this new blog behind your back. Immature.

AnnEE said...

The sad thing is, Miriam, is that a vast, vast, vast majority of these women appear to be truly wonderful people. It just makes you wonder why they would partake in crap like that, you know?

Papa Nacho said...

Well ... now with all that said ... I have always felt the BC was crap!

Why spend ANY time discussing things or people that have no place being discussed other than with those DIRECTLY involved. ie spouse, Church officials, attorney etc.

I can tell you from personal experience that anything or anyone talked about in an environment like BC is NO GOOD and will ultimately do great harm to someone.

A reputation is something that cannot ever be fully restored, regardless what amount of time you spend or work involved trying to get it back.

Only the weak, insecure, feeble minded, chicken s---s need something like BC to make their miserable lives seem better than the others who they have tried to destroy with their comments and actions.

I'm marking this day in my journal as the day my girls caught the vision that they do not need to be associated with such an ugly dark environment. And the sooner the others catch that same vision, the better off they will be.

I have already lost my night of sleep when one of my darling daughters went WAY out of her way to provide a night of association and reminiscing with other blogger "friends". When those "friends" failed to show, I know the hurt she had. SHAME ON THEM for not even having the courtesy to call, (but put in perspective, what else would you expect from such people?)

Congratulations girls for getting it right ..."The most important things in life are not things" (like those who need a BC to survive). It is the relationships that are built with true, loyal, concerned and loving friends and family.

I love you all.

Padre

Jessica said...

You're right, I was wrong. I'm deeply embarrassed and sorry.

Annemarie said...

I'm sorry. I, too am embarrassed.

Ali said...

This isn't my business, so I apologize in advance for butting in.

To be honest, I'm kind of confused and shocked by the whole concept of what the BC was/is... but I just want to say that I'm lucky to know you and call you a friend.

I've never met Heather, but I love her blog and I completely try to emulate the relationship the two of you have with my own sister.

You are both beloved by many. Remember that.

kara jayne said...

annee-

it's unfortunate that everyone's enlightenment had to come at the expense of you and your sisters. obviously at one point or another everyone on the BC blog didn't see the negative impact of it. now they do. hopefully you can see that this is a learning experience for all and that some good will come out of your hurt and misery.

i am truly so so sorry for what you, heather, heidi, rachel, and your families have gone through because of this.

thank you for helping us all learn a little more through it.

Robin said...

I am so sorry. It was unfair and hurtful.

heidiram said...

Did you take a nap? I still feel like a big giant truck ran me over. Times like this I wish I didn't have an inquiring mind . . . and wished I wouldn't have investigated further.

I should write my "keeping it real" post today. I am a wreck! You know how my face gets all blotchy and red and my eyes turn bloodshot after crying?

I'm waiting for Cristian's lemon rice to finish cooking so I can turn off the stove and go get a pedicure. Who needs a nap anyway? And who really should be exercising with her family and playing tennis instead of going to get her nails done?

Lauren in GA said...

Anne,
I am just so sorry and feel positively sick about all of this. Please forgive me. I am not exactly sure what has gone down but I have surmised that you and your sisters have been hurt and feel excluded and I am so, so, so sorry.

Wendy said...

Anne I am so sorry this happened! Nobody deserves to be treated that way.

Elizabeth said...

Anne,
I don't often comment but I found your blog from CF awhile ago. I'm very sorry that you are feeling let down and disappointed by your friends... You are very lucky that you have a wonderful (and very funny) sister.
I hope you a feeling better.

Liz said...

That makes me sick - I'm so sorry Anne. It's a horrible feeling when you find out people have been slandering you.