Monday, February 15, 2010

The Collarbone



The day that I got home from Vegas, I got a phone call from Heather while I was waiting in the baggage claim area. She told me that Hazen had fallen, and he was crying, but his crying was different than it normally was. He kept on saying that his arm hurt, and would freak out whenever she tried to pick him up. I told her to give it a few minutes, and I'd be home from the airport in a half an hour. Not too much time went by before I received a phone call saying that it was bad, and she needed to take him to the ER.

I rushed home from the airport and went straight to the AF Emergency room, where I saw one sad little boy cuddled up with an Aunt who loves him like her own. I picked him up to hold him, and it was obvious within seconds that everything was not ok. An X-ray later, we found out that Hazen had broken his Clavicle. He was at Heather's, playing like any 2 year old would, and fell. Later, when we asked him what happened, he told us, "Jumping on the bed, fell off the ladder. Arm, hurt! I cried". What a booger.

Luckily, little bones truly are miracles, and within a few days he was as good as new! We spent a little bit of time with him not moving on the couch, but as long as we stayed on top of his pain with medication, he was really good at self-regulating his activity and not doing anything that caused pain. I'm grateful that these minor bumps and bruises are the worst things we have to deal with- we truly are blessed!

2 comments:

Sam said...

Brookie has broken her collar bone twice and it's so sad. One of them was the same way, jumping on the bed. It's amazing how fast they heel though!

Ashley Clark said...

Awesome Charlie Brown sling! I'm glad he's feeling better.