Friday, August 6, 2010

Crossfit




Please allow me to diverge from the travelogue that my blog has turned into to talk for a few minutes about something new that Jason and I have joined. Rather, I feel it's more accurate to say that it's a new journey that we've embarked on together, because one can't expect to get to a lifelong destination overnight.

Jason and I were introduced to Crossfit about a year ago. We would do the workouts with PGFD a few times a week, but it was unpredictable at best. I really enjoyed the intensity of the workouts, though, and I missed it when we stopped doing them. Finally, May 3rd, we decided that it was high time we make a major lifestyle change.

Crossfit is an exercise modality that employees highly varied, functional movement. The training is insanely intense, but I've seen more results in 3 months of Crossfit than I have in my entire previous life of physical training. The trainers at Viking Crossfit are seriously amazing. Previously, Jason and I were paying $90/month for 3 half-hour sessions at Gold's. I wish I had that money back, because it was crap. When I'm there, I feel safe, because I know that they trainers are so devoted to ensuring that I have proper form and the tools necessary to learn how to perform the WODs so that I don't injure myself.

On a physical level, I've lost over 5 1/2 inches from my hips, 4 inches from my waist, and am down about 9 lbs. I haven't been super intense about my diet, so I know once I'm done with school and become a little more devoted in that realm, I'll see a lot more progress. The amount of muscle I've gained is seriously unreal. I'm leaning up, and I just feel and look better in my clothes!

On a mental level, no amount of money can compensate for that Crossfit has done for me. There have been numerous workouts when I have sweat dripping down my body, my heart is pounding, and tears are in my eyes, because I just WANT to push myself harder. It's during those times that the trainers and fellow gym members rally around me, and I realize that I DO possess what I need to dip deeper, and I complete the workout. It's really difficult to explain the exhilaration that overcomes your entire body when you realize that you're going to be able to lift a little heavier than you did last time, run a little faster, and recover with a little less time spent panting on the floor.

I feel incredible. I AM incredible. I can do things that I never thought I could. I am strong, I am capable, and I, frankly put, am awesome. Crossfit is life-changing. I know that sounds silly, but it really is. I used to hate exercising, but now, if a day passes that I miss a workout, I miss it! I love the feeling of aching muscles that I constantly have, and I crave trying to achieve new physical benchmarks.

For the first time in my life, I am exercising not to necessarily lose weight. That has been an awesome byproduct, but I am exercising for my health. I am doing this to become stronger, and to be a more present, capable mom and nurse. It's incredible how things change when your reasoning behind your actions change, as well. Thank you, Crossfit for being such a wonderful presence in my life!










2 comments:

Megan and Jonny said...

Dear Anne,

Ummm...holy crap! You ARE amazing! I wish I had the motivation to do something like this. I almost said 'time to do something like this' but compared to you, I'm a lazy slacker.

PS--Those toe-shoes are my favorite thing ever.

Kirsten Krason said...

You look awesome. I miss you friend. Do you want me to send you an invite to Jett's first birthday? I never heard back from you.....