Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Semester 1 Wrap Up




This semester was so many different things to me. Of course, it was a source of stress, but it was a highway to making so many new friends, an enticement to work hard, and most of all, a reminder of who I was. I am a smart, capable woman who can do things that she puts her mind to.

A week or two before finals, I was about ready to have a mental breakdown. I hadn't done as well on the previous two tests, and I KNEW the information backwards and forward, so I was on the verge of an anxiety attack. I wrote my A&P teacher an email outlining some of my concerns, and he responded with an email that I will have in my binder for the remainder of my schooling. Here are some excerpts:

"I am concerned that you have really put a lot of pressure on yourself to not just do well but to "ace" the class. I think you can "ace" the class but the pressure (and any others that you are dealing with) is what is making the difference. You need to let it go, as you do you will do well. You are very talented. You are also like me a bit too type A for your own good. I know telling you to not stress at finals is a bit like telling a fish it can't have any water...........(other stuff)....
I appreciate having students like you that seem to care about learning not just what question am I putting on the test. You will be a great nurse!"

This email literally was the key to helping me snap out of the stress that I had. I was so grateful that he took the time to not only email me, but to talk to me and remind me of the potential that I have.

So, the Semester wrap-up:


Anatomy and Physiology: A-

Lifespan Human Psychology: A

Clinical Calculations: A

All in all; a success.

14 comments:

Linsey said...

Bravo!! All that hard work was for something and that should feel great!

Annemarie said...

WAY TO GO!! You worked your butt off and you deserve it.
You will be a fabulous nurse!

Anonymous said...

You amaze me, my little Annke. Good job!

Jenibelle said...

AWESOME!!! Way to go! Everyone in your life must be so proud of you!!!

Kimberly said...

Good work! And what a thoughtful note.

queenieweenie said...

You're an ace....good job girl!!!

allirasmussen@gmail.com said...

wow congrats thats awesome!

Jessica said...

so so so so impressive. Look at you: working your butt off and getting the results.

and p.s.: I totally sleep with my kids to get them to nap past age 3. It's good snuggle time for us.

heidiram said...

Oh my goodness. Are we from the same genetic make up or what? I have a very similar e-mail from my Spanish professor telling me to CHILL and stop putting so much pressure on myself. Now every time I start to freak out wondering what was I thinking when I enrolled in a PUERTO RICAN university for graduate school. . . I pull out the e-mail and chill.

Congratulations! You are awesome!

diane said...

Well done!
I wish you were my nurse.

Randi said...

Congrats! I'm waiting to hear back from nursing school so I'm living through your experience. I can't imagine trying to do it with a child at home and on top of that get such good grades. You're amazing!

Ilene said...

Hey, I totally stressed out over my lame driver's license test so I am happy to salute a fellow type A-er. Who, by the way, I would much rather have as my nurse rather than some casual go-with-the-flow character.

Ashley Clark said...

Congratulations! You deserve it. Now think of all the fun study sessions we could've had in high school. :)

Paige said...

An A-?? How could you live with yourself? you are a star. Congrats.