Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Freezer Meals!




The day before Boston was born, Aubrey and I decided to embark on an adventure; Freezer Meals. Well, Boston made his appearance a little earlier than we had anticipated, so I was left to make the Freezer Meals for us myself. I was excited for the challenge and for what it would result in, but I slightly underestimated the work that would be required! When I started, I had a brand new, EMPTY chest freezer to store all of the food that I would be making.


Aubrey and I chose the menu, and I made the shopping list for everything that we were going to make. $200 later, I was ready to start cooking. On the menu? Swedish Meatballs, Mini Meatballs, Pork Eggrolls, Spinach Feta Turnovers, Bean and Cheese Burritos, Irish Beef and Stout Stew, Broccoli Cheese Calzones, Garlic Pepper Sauce, and Veggie Lasagna and Southwestern Enchiladas.





I cooked. I cooked and chopped and cooked some more. Somewhere along the way I developed carpel tunnel in my wrists from all of the chopping. I learned that I would be the skinniest chef in America, because nothing decreases by appetite more than doing nothing but cooking. I stood. I cooked some more. For 2 days straight I did literally nothing but COOK. I listened to my I-Pod and allowed myself to surrender to the rhythm of cooking that I so love, but have been unable to enjoy for as long as I've been in school. I turned out more food in a short period time than I've ever done before in my life.




At the end of those two days, I had made enough food to make 120 individual meals, making the final cost roughly $1.67 per person per meal. Win? I think so! It was a lot of hard work, but it really felt good knowing that it will pay off for a long time after long days with the baby for Aubrey and long days at school for me!




13 comments:

Stephanie said...

You are amazing! I have been wanting to do that, but don't have the freezer space. Trying to talk Andrew into getting a deep-freeze. Are they terribly expensive? Your meals sound yummy. I'd be interested in your recipes, if you feel like sharing. I make your chili you posted forever ago ALL the time, and I call it Anne's chili. You are a food goddess.

AnnEE said...

It was a little over $300, but if you figure in the fact that now I can store stuff that I get for 50-60% off (meat, etc), it MORE than pays for it! Plus, the freezer meals have kept us from going out more than once already. Ka-ching!

Unknown said...

I have SO been wanting to do this.

Can I have your recipes/menu/shopping list? If you happen to have it typed?

Because I would seriously be in debt to you FOREVER. I'll buy you some donuts...

Paige said...

I was undecided before, but you are officially my hero! WOW :)

BTW, Hazen is a doll. How happy/sad is it to watch your little baby turn into a little man!? :)

Ashley Clark said...

You are an amazing friend! The thought of all those dirty dishes is enough to give me nightmares for a week. Props. :)

Linsey said...

1 word - INCREDIBLE. Now, one final task, please post the recipes it all looked/sounded so good!

Amanda Fetters said...

You are a rock star. I second/third/fourth everyone else's request for the recipes - you and Aubrey must be in heaven with so much food ready when you both have so much to do!!

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

Recipes, please? So I can covert the 1/4 cow I have in my deep freeze into freezer meals.

You are rifreakin'diculously amazing!

D and J Larson said...

if the stout stew is from everyday food mag ... its amazing! I swear i made that ten times this winter

Josh said...

Holy smokes that is the greatest thing I have ever seen! Please please please please please help motivate Kirsten for such a task. I will give her $400 and she can make 440 meals or $800 and she can make 880 meals. That's a steal! This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

Diana said...

Wow! What a woman! :D I need to do this again. Mine aren't nearly so fancy, but they definitely keep us from going out too often, also! I wish I'd had them for the previous going-on-four months now... I think I can stand the smell of that much cooking now! :D You rock!!

Doug Clark said...

I just wanted to pass along my approval of your Breville Gourmet Wok. Nicely done.

Emily said...

Ok, I know that this is totally outdated, but you are incredible!! How did you do this? How did you know what recipes would freeze well and reheat normally? I totally want to do this, but I think I'm too lazy.