Friday, December 21, 2007

Not quite out of the woods....

So, I kind of feel like the honeymoon is over. Not with Jason and I, life is great for us (minus the fact that he had the stomach flu this week and almost died. But not really).

You know that Euphoric feeling when it feels like EVERYTHING falls into place, and life is perfect for a while? DING. Time's up. Hazen has been making SO MUCH progress in so many different areas, but as he gets a little bit older, we're realizing that he's not quite where he should be developmentally. DEFINITELY not where he should be as a 4 month old, but that's not a big deal, they adjust that to go with his prematurity.

He smiles and laughs when people are talking to him, but he has a REALLY hard time with eye-contact. He also is favoring the right side A LOT, and isn't doing some of the other stuff he should be. I feel so frustrated right now, because for some reason or another, I feel like there were about 40 million people I know that had babies at the same time as Hazen, and not all of them are the most sensitive. (Heather, I'm not talking about you!) If there is something that drives me nutty, it's a one-upper. If there is something that drives me absolutely CRAZY...not in a good way, it's a one-upper who compares my child when some of the problems he has might stem deeper than just being "a little behind". Don't you realize that every day since that horrible Monday about 3 months ago, I've worried about the long-term developmental delays my sweet baby might have? Don't you realize that bragging about how your baby is rolling over and almost standing, and then asking me, "So what does Hazen do" BOTHERS me? If you're going to ask such things, at least pretend to be excited when I tell you that he's over 12 lbs, and he goes crazy every time Jason or I walk in the room. Heaven forbid you be slightly amused when I tell you he'll pretty much hold his head up when I hold him on my lap. Oh, and don't you DARE tell me IT'S NOT FAIR that he sleeps through the night. Do you REALLY want to start talking fair? These are GIANT milestones for us. HUGE.

Hazen is going to start Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy on the 3rd of January. He already has a developmentalist who comes in once a month, but it's just not enough. Now, I get to begin to jump through hoops to get him to qualify for the Follow-Up clinic at the hospital. They said he wasn't small ENOUGH or sick ENOUGH to automatically be eligible, but you better believe I'm going to fight for my baby so he can get all the help he needs. With the Follow-Up clinic, he would meet with a Neonatologist, Neurologist, Developmentalist, Nurses, Drs, Dietitians, OTs, PTs, and some other people who will run some pretty extensive tests to see what they think. Dr. Lauret, our Pediatrician told me not to be shocked if they order another MRI in February.

So, we will enjoy the Holidays, and we will laugh and play with our baby, because we love him. But will I worry? Of course I will. And we'll wait. Because that's all we can really do.

18 comments:

Ali said...

Hazen is blessed to have two dedicated parents that are doing everything in their power to see that all of his needs are met and that love him the way you do. Your post was a humble reminder of the things I take for granted. I have faith that he'll continue to progress. It's evident that the process is trying and difficult, best of luck and keep us updated. He has a huge cheering section :) And by all means, each of his milestones deserves to be celebrated (with cake).

Anonymous said...

Your baby rules.

Marisa said...

... and I love you guys.

Mia Mia said...

Hazen! Hazen! Hazen!

That's me doing a little cheer for him.

I'm calling you right now to get the scoop for the post.

Mia Mia said...

That would be me Mia Mia's mom not Mia Mia.

paige said...

"Welcome to motherhood"...4 months ago. That's what I always hear when I talk about worrying about Polly. She definitely isn't "advanced," even though I hardly believe in a child actually being advanced, ever. We know tons of one-uppers who are hardly bearable to stand as people. Some parents have to worry more than others, which is a hard part of the wonderful thing called parenthood. We all love you, Jason & HAL & always have you in our thoughts and prayers when needed. No matter what happens, you will always be his mom & he'll always be the sweetest little boy I have ever known...or at least seen pictures of. We WILL see you soon! Merry Christmas!

heidiram said...

You just keep jumping through those loops and hoops . . . and advocate for that little man. We love you HAL! And Anne. And Jason.

Sarah said...

Can I just say that not only am I totally proud of Hazen for being such a strong little dude, but I am extremely proud of you Anne, for also being strong and able and reliable for him. He wouldn't be doing well at all if you weren't fighting for every little thing for him! He is a very lucky little boy!

Of course it will take longer for him to pass "milestones" but along the way, you will also hit other, more important milestones as he grows and learns. I have nannied for term babies who didn't roll over until they were 5 or 6 months old, and babies who rolled over at 3 months. When I watched the twin preemies, starting at four months, wihtin a month one of the girls was able to roll over because we did the occupational therapy every single day. Well, I did anyway.

You really have a lot of resources and tools you can use for your boy, and I am so glad you are standing up for him and being a voice he won't get to have for a long while. I think that because of who his parents are, he will NEVER have to really worry about being slow or behind developmentally. Actually, because of you guys, he is probably already ahead!!

Merry Christmas hon, enjoy your beautiful family!!!!

The Five that Jive said...

Anne-he sounds like he's doing great to me. How did you find out that he is a little behind? Was it the Welcome Baby nurse? Because now you've got me worried about my little guy. Congrats on him being 12 pounds...that's amazing!! I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas...and try not to worry too much...it will all work out..Hazen has fought so hard this far...he's a trooper!!
Merry Christmas!!
Lindsey Johnson

Amanda Fetters said...

Count me in for the cheering section! xoxo

Ashley Clark said...

You keep running into obnoxious and stuck up people--first at Walmart and now this. And I agree with Paige. Everyone thinks their kid is "gifted" and needs to let the whole world know. It's crap.

Forget everyone else and just keep being the great mom you are!

Celia Fae said...

Anne, please please call me. Or email me. I keep getting rejected from your email and I need to get in touch with you.

So Pam is busy tomorrow night, but I was hoping we could set something else up. Everyone wants to see you and the little darling.

celiafae@gmail.com email me soon, okay? I would leave my phone number, but I feel weird putting it on the internet. I assigned Val to get your phone number because I figured she would know people, but she failed.

Hazen5 said...

Give sweet Hazen lots of kisses from us!! And one for you too.

Emily said...

At least now to those one-uppers you can say how awesome Hazen behaves in airplanes! I bet their babies cry the whole time. What's your email? You want pictures? I send them to you.
I don't know why I was imagining myself with an accent when I wrote that last part.

Jessica said...

You are such a good mom that I will enjoy watching you get your boy exactly what he needs! You guys have a peaceful Christmas, got it?!

Sarah said...

Anne, you are "THE" blog commenter, ha ha, but I wrote it mainly because my ex psycho employer reads it, and was trying to make small talk over the pregnancy to me. It was awkward to hear about my pregnancy from someone I truly do NOT like, and I really think she is very crazy. But anyways... it was indirectly directed to her. And my mother, who always reads, but never comments! Stinker...

How was shorty's first Christmas?? We got your card and family letter, seriously, he couldn't be cuter. He is a total stud!!

Happy New Year Lee family!!!

Ellie said...

I wish your blog was scratch and sniff so I could smell your sweet baby. So cute.

Mostly Leighanna, some Jordan said...

This is exactly what I am talking about. Who says that kind of stuff? I just had this exact conversation the other day with somebody, but instead we were talking about how in the church everyone likes to one-up each other on number of kids, and that shames people who normally wouldn't/couldn't have that many kids into thinking they need to. HAL is really cute, so those people can back off.

I just realized I start many comments with "This is exactly what I am talking about" but the person involved really, has no idea what I was talking about. Haha.